Author Topic: alternator or battery?  (Read 802 times)

Offline 97_TJ

• Level 1
alternator or battery?
« on: 10/20/10 - 09:20PM »
So i think my old battery finally shot craps (per O'Reilly). But it gave me an opportunity to buy that Optima Yellow-Top I've been wanting to get. As soon as I hooked it up it ran started like a champ. The jeep is no longer my DD so i went to drive it a few days later and..nothing. Does this sound like an alternator issue or the battery? I've heard a few people say they've got bad Optimas out of box. The guy at O'Reilly told me that I'm not supposed to charge it directly from a regular battery charger. He said i need to hook the charger up to an acid battery then jumpers from that to the optima. I did that tonight, let it charge all the way up and it still doesn't have any juice. They also said that in order to tell between the two i would need to get it to full charge. Can someone please give me some insight that has any knowledge on the Optima or the possible cause of my issue??

Thanks,
Nate

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: alternator or battery?
« Reply #1 on: 10/20/10 - 10:57PM »
Optima in the jeep, jump start the rig.  If it remains running your alternator is fine and charging.  If it dies your alternator is bad. 

As far as the battery, Optima doens't have the quality they once did.  There is adecent chance it is bad as well.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato