Author Topic: Whining  (Read 1590 times)

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
Whining
« on: 02/10/11 - 10:49AM »
I'm getting a whine sound coming from the transmission area. I think I have it narrowed down to either bad U joints, or needing to drain and refill the fluid in the trans. Is there anything else I should look for?

The sound varies, but under a load in 4 is when it is the loudest. But I can make it make the noise while in every gear.

I am thinking U joints since it does have a 3 inch lift without a SYE. I do have adjustable control arms and have raised the pinion some, but lately I have noticed some vibes.

Thanks guys, and gals.
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
Re: Whining
« Reply #1 on: 02/24/11 - 04:21PM »
my starter has been sticking, and not wanting to come out when I try to start the jeep. it just spins. if the starter is staying stuck out when i do get it to start, could it be whats whining?

I need some help here guys!

Offline Kkow

• Club Members
  • Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 02/24/11 - 06:06PM »
To your first post.  Have you tried pulling the front drive shaft out? The noise could be coming from the double carden joint, it has a needle baring in side of it that can dry out over time or from water crossings/ playing in puddles.  But, ever person I know who has had a problem with the needle bearings, it made a chirping sound that was proportional to the speed of the vehicle.  The other thing that comes to mind is if the bearing for the front output shaft ware bad, it could cause the symptoms you described.
To your second post.  If it is a starter issues, the noise would be related to the speed of the engine, not the vehicle.  So it would be vibrating/ making noise with the jeep out of gear or in park.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Street Trail is sweet!

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 02/24/11 - 06:25PM »
I have not pulled the front shaft yet. the front output shaft is only a couple years old. it was damaged in an accident and replaced.

the noise seems to come from right below the shifter. its loudest in 4th gear under a load,  like climbing the hill on 65 going to ozark,but if I let off the gas just a little bit it goes away. it starts coming on half way through 2nd, and if I let off the gas all together it goes away.

Offline Kkow

• Club Members
  • Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 02/24/11 - 06:38PM »
From your latest information, it sounds like you haver a control arm bushing going bad in the rear.  I had a very similar problem when I lifted my jeep the first time.  I was at about 2.5 inches of lift with stock control arms and no SYE.  What was happening to me was under load the read axle was twisting just enough to send my drive line into vibration, when I left off the gas peddle, the axle twisted back and was smooth again.

The best way I found to check the rear bushing was to have someone watch the rear end when I was inside holding the brake to the floor and surging the jeep forward with the clutch, this recreates the same forces as driving and loading the drive line.
Street Trail is sweet!

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: 02/24/11 - 06:42PM »
I have less than a year old adjustable Currie arms all around. they dont have bushings, they have Johnny Joints on both ends. I have had 3 inches of lift and this same set up for 3 years, and the whining has just started.

Offline Kkow

• Club Members
  • Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 02/24/11 - 06:56PM »
I know Currie make some great joints, but the plastic or rubber inside of them can wear and loosen, hopefully not after less then a year. I'm not sure if the Johnny joint you have, have the internal snap ring holding the joint together.  I had a rear track bar from Currie and the snap ring popped out of it grove and gave me a fare amount of movement.  As fare as I know, you are at the very limit on pinion angle of the drive shaft, it might not take much movement to cause vibrations.
Other then that, I'm sure what else it could be with out seeing and hearing the jeep.

If you do try loading the drive line as I described before, make sure you do it in forward and in reverse in 2wd.
Street Trail is sweet!

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: 02/24/11 - 07:02PM »
I will look in to that, but i REALLY hope its not my new control arms!

Offline v2thjeep

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: 04/26/11 - 01:34AM »
I think I've got a whine like you are describing, only happens when accelerating, and sounds like its right below the center console. I don't think its tranny fluid, cause I had mine replaced after my float trip during our last trip :-)
WTF is a Palm Beach Edition?