Author Topic: I need help from the 4.0 gods  (Read 1187 times)

Offline redneck_punk

• Level 2
I need help from the 4.0 gods
« on: 03/18/11 - 08:51PM »
I am still having problems with my 93 grand with a 4.0  here is the list of replaced parts  Crankshaft sensor, Camshaft sensor, Computer, Timing chain and sprockets, Ignition switch, Map sensor, Throttle position sensor,O2 sensor, Idle air control, Coil,Plugs and wires, Rotor bug and cap, Fuel pressure regulator, fuel and air filters. Timing is dead on compression is all on the high side of limits, fuel pressure is good, all the grounds are good, no trouble codes, no vacuum leaks, and all power levels are where they should be. Yet it has an erratic spark on all cylinders and backfires through the exhaust. Anybody have an idea or the best place to take it to get it figured out.
t's a Jeep NOT a sheep get off my tail!!!!!!!!

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
Re: I need help from the 4.0 gods
« Reply #1 on: 03/18/11 - 09:43PM »
if your timing is dead on with your timing chain, it sounds like your computer is messing with timing. You tried a different computer?
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline redneck_punk

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 03/18/11 - 10:23PM »
dont have a spare this yr came out with like 5 diff so its hard to find one in a scrap yrd and the original had to be turned in for the new one. Is there anyway that Central dodge can check or re program on the one I have.
t's a Jeep NOT a sheep get off my tail!!!!!!!!

Offline j2sax

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #3 on: 03/21/11 - 12:01AM »
OK, so what was tried first and why? 

Was this problem evident before you started throwing parts on?  If not, did any of these parts contribute to or create the issue. 

Have you ever performed a pressure leak down test?  A lot more helpful than a simple compression test.  IF it is consistent on all cylinders, the cam may be out of phase, electronic ignition firing incorrectly (due either to faulty ECM or defective input to the ECM, though this sounds mechanical rather than electronic to me) or you might be misinterpreting a clogged cat.

Jesse, Near Sparta, MO FSJ/AMC Freak<br />Wag w/ 6" lift 360/727/229 (208 soon) <br />2 J10s, 2 J20s, 4 Door J20 Project, Lots of Wags<br />73 Commando on Wag Frame, 79 AMX, Several Eagles