Author Topic: New Member needs a recommendation for a mechanic  (Read 1411 times)

Offline 67alecto

• Level 2
Hey all.  I've been poking around this forum for awhile, and finally got around to registering. 

1 year ago, I traded in my Dodge Magnum for a 2007 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4-door.  I had been wanting a jeep for years, but with 2 kids and not wanting to have more than 2 vehicles, it wasn't very practical.  My wife's car isn't ideal for family vacations, and once we had our first kid, I had gone through larger cars like a Chrysler LHS, Dodge Durango, and then my Magnum.  The "other vehicles" that were owned at the same time as these were a 1967 Plymouth Fury, Dodge Dakota (2-door, regular cab), 1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus (big block, slapstick, torqueflite) or a Dodge Stratus.

As you can see, for me it's "Mopar or no car".

Anyway, the 2-door jeeps just didn't have enough room for trips with 2 kids, but when I saw the 4-door JKs, I knew it was just a matter of time.

Last February, I traded in the Dodge Magnum that I ordered from the factory back in 2004 (complete with the window sticker that said it was made especially for me) for a low-mile, stock 2007 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited.  There was a  moderately built red one (custom rims and larger tires), but it had nearly twice the miles and a few other issues.

The Wrangler couldn't be any more different than the Magnum, but I couldn't be happier.  I've been doing a few things here and there in the year I've had it.

Installed a trailer hitch to replace the tow hook
Underseat locking storage box
Silverstar headlight/foglight bulbs (the stock yellowish lights were way too dark when I was driving through rural Arkansas and Louisiana on the way to the Gulf last year)
Taillight armor
Dual tube bumpers for the front and back

My next upgrade will be some auxiliary lights.  I'm leaning towards windshield pillar mounts. After that I'm looking at tires and wheels.

I've also just gotten these:
Daystar dash pad to replace the center section (giving me a place to put the mp3 player, etc).  I'll be putting that in sometime this weekend.
Teraflex Leveling kit

The Teraflex kit is what brings me to my question.

What Springfield-area mechanics do you guys recommend for things like this? The instructions actually look pretty simple, but seeing as how this is my daily driver and missing work is not an option for me since I just started a new job, I'm not comfortable doing it myself.

Here's my jeep:

« Last Edit: 02/25/12 - 01:10PM by 67alecto »

Offline gjgoodale

• Level 3
  • ZMBR8D
Re: New Member needs a recommendation for a mechanic
« Reply #1 on: 02/25/12 - 02:52PM »
I have personally had good experiences with Eaglecrest Automotive in Nixa.  Ask for Coop. 
Check the OJT Facebook page<br />http://www.facebook.com/groups/ozarksjeepthing/

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 02/25/12 - 03:40PM »
JK related no one is better than Kevin at 4wheeler supply off chestnut.  I used to work there and we built a lot of custom JK's from what you are looking for to hemi JK's on 42" tires.

Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline 67alecto

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: 02/25/12 - 08:36PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I drove by 4WS the other day and couldn't tell if they had walk-in service or if it was just a storefront for a shipping operation.  I'll give them a call.

I got the daystar dashpad in - my MP3 player doesn't go flying around now.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 02/25/12 - 11:34PM »
There is a store front there, along with a full shop in the back that can service about 4 jeeps.

Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline 67alecto

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 02/26/12 - 01:56PM »
Sweet.  I'll give them a call this week.

Thanks!