Author Topic: 01 TJ project!!!  (Read 6216 times)

Offline THerr118

• Level 1
01 TJ project!!!
« on: 07/ 5/12 - 11:43PM »
Hey guys, Well its time to spend the money and make my 2001 TJ more capable. Over the next couple weeks I will be ordering parts and putting them on. Here is my list of parts that I already have and what I am ordering. I am including the best prices I could find on the parts as well. Feel free to tell me what you think of my list and what you would change (If any  :P) Also I have changed my list as my build has changed.
What I already have:
- Treadwright 5x315/75R16 MTR knockoffs with BFG A/T 3ply sidewall ($873)
- Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch ($280)
- Rubicon Express Hand Throttle Kit ($35)
- MetalCloak Front/rear fenders with rocker guards ($1900 shipped)
- 5x BlackRock 16x8 wheels ($365)
- ORF Fab Stinger front bumper ($380)
- LOD Xtreme Duty tire carrier rear bumper ($500)
- JKS 1.25" Body Lift ($121.50)
- JKS 1" MML ($72)
- 2 Inch BB lift (FREE!!)
- UCF engine/trans skid,Tummy Tuck skid,aluminum Gas Tank skid, and lopro mount ($900)Ordered and on the way!!
- Currie adjustable control arms ($1000) Ordered and on the way!!

What I am going to get:
- 4.88 gears for Dana 30 and Dana 44 ($323)
- Detroit Trutrac for rear Dana 44 ($465)
- Spartan locker for front Dana 30 ($260)
- Riddler Differential Covers x2 ($200)
- JKS Lower Control Arm Skid ($23)
- Adjustable control arms ($1000)
- SYE with TW driveshaft ($500)

Well, That pretty much completes my list for now. I plan on doing most of the work myself. Even though I have only put a lift on my old Cherokee. Like I said if you guys see anything outta place or something I should change, don't hesitate to comment! I plan on doing a full write up on this so keep posted for pics and review! (sorry for the long posting!!)

How it sits now!!

« Last Edit: 10/18/12 - 03:17PM by THerr118 »
2001 Wrangler Sahara- Metalcloaked with 35's

Offline THerr118

• Level 1
Re: 01 TJ project!!!
« Reply #1 on: 07/ 5/12 - 11:54PM »
How it sits now... ALL STOCK!! (Milk Jugs and all!!)

Treadwright Tires
« Last Edit: 07/ 6/12 - 12:03AM by THerr118 »

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 07/ 6/12 - 01:45AM »
Couple questions.  Why 16" wheels?  Also are you planning on ordering a new carrier and master install kit for the 30? 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #3 on: 07/ 6/12 - 02:26AM »
locker in the rear , tur trac in the front.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline THerr118

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 07/ 6/12 - 02:41AM »
Yj Aaron -Treadwright doesn't carry 35's in 15" rims like I wanted. Trust me I don't like spending 20 bucks more per wheel!! Yes I was but I'm having Kevin from 4ws install the gears and locker, that's why I didn't include that.
Crazy Larry- I read that having a locker in the back was bad for swb vehicles and would make on road manners terrible. I was considering putting trutracs front and rear but wasn't sure. Comments?

Offline mrfast

• Director of Photography
  • Level 4
« Reply #5 on: 07/ 6/12 - 08:28AM »
Sounds like a pretty well though out plan, looking forward to seeing it all come together.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #6 on: 07/ 6/12 - 09:42AM »
I see.  The only reason I asked on the wheels was for price as well as bead seat.  Sounds like a good build man, have fun with it!
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline THerr118

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 07/ 7/12 - 02:36AM »
Thanks mrfast and yj Aaron. I spent a lot of time researching and compiling that list. I'll prolly have a few questions on install stuff! I'm ordering most the parts on Monday!! What you guys think about a Spartan in front and a Detroit soft locker in back? The lockers are the only thing I'm not sure about. I can't afford an airlocker or I'd get two ;) Thanks again guys!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #8 on: 07/ 7/12 - 08:57AM »
Spartans are one of the best pocket lockers for reliability and function.  However the trade off is selectability, turning radius, and sound.  Detroits are good units overall I run 2 of them in this jeep and have run dozens prior to. 

I'm suprised Kevin didn't talk you into an electrac for the front.  It's a selectable locker for about $500. 

Offline THerr118

• Level 1
« Reply #9 on: 09/ 9/12 - 05:17AM »
Well guys, sorry for the late update!! But some of my plans have changed. I ended up doing MetalCloaks all the way around. I wanted to keep the jeep as low as possible. I got the metal cloaks on a couple days ago. I just got the bL and MML in yesterday. So I plan on putting those on ASAP! The only problem I have now is I rub the sway bar when I turn hard and I still need to trim up the back to keep from rubbing. I'm still waiting on my front and rear bumpers to come in. I'm probably going to have to put a small 2-3 inch lift to keep it from rubbing while flexing. ( Dont mind the primed rear fender flares. I hadnt finished painting them!!)

Offline THerr118

• Level 1
« Reply #10 on: 09/ 9/12 - 05:20AM »
Before-

After-

Before-

After-

Before-

After-
« Last Edit: 09/ 9/12 - 05:25AM by THerr118 »

Offline mrfast

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: 09/ 9/12 - 09:04AM »
Looking good!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #12 on: 09/18/12 - 11:22PM »
I would mark your sway bar with chalk and see where you are rubbing.  It's possible you may need a .25" wheel spacer to clear that.  Or reverse the pin in them depending on where they are hitting.

As far as lockers... it's hard to give advice without knowing what you are accustomed to and are ok to deal with.  If this is all you are going to drive and long trips I'd say save up for selectable while paying for regear.

Consider upgrading steering as the factory stuff is WEAK and can fail without impact on the trails.  Beyond that your plan seems solid... I woudln't buy riddler covers I'd buy Solid for 1/2 the $ and a good product.  Just look at the abuse mine have taken.

Offline THerr118

• Level 1
« Reply #13 on: 09/19/12 - 02:58AM »
Thanks Mr. fast!!
Aaron, The tires are rubbing halfway between the bend of the sway bar and the links. I forgot to put I planned on putting a v8 ZJ steering upgrade too. I'd love to get selectable lockers. I just can't see spending 2k on em. That's a lot of hours to work to pay for that! But I know it can make or break the performance of my jeep. That's why I am going to hold off on the re-gear for a while until I fully decide. The 3.73 gears with 35's are actually more livable than I thought.
I plan on going to SMORR on the 6th of October with the group and try the jeep out with the new stuff I have put on. Anyone else going?!

Offline mrfast

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: 09/19/12 - 08:34AM »
October 6th is the Tri lakes Jeep show in Branson for the OJT club. If you get a chance come out to SMORR this weekend Sept. 22 or 23 for some wheeling fun! Looking forward to meeting you and checking out your Jeep.