Author Topic: Jeep Camp Trailer  (Read 32846 times)

Offline Cook5

• Club Members
  • Level 2
Re: Jeep Camp Trailer
« Reply #45 on: 07/ 8/14 - 06:54PM »
The bimini poles are going to be made out of 3/4" emt.  (Electrical Metallic Tubing or conduit)  Straight away, the conduit is too short so rather than order in some other tubing that would be long enough (because that's too damn easy and makes too much sense), we decided to bend the poles in 2 pieces and weld them together.  I didn't want to just butt weld them so we had to fashion a insert that would fit snug and give the joint some strength.  More time...
Anyway, I did get one pole finished and installed to support the tent, I'm working on the other 2 poles now.  Once they're done, the tent will be completed and ready to use.  I still have several items before the trailer is ready to camp in though.

Here are some pictures of fabricating the poles.  I used my trusty emt conduit bender to get them to the right shape.

I used a 4" piece of 1/2" emt to make the insert for the joint.  I cut it down the middle and split it apart so it would fit snug.

Offline Cook5

• Club Members
  • Level 2
« Reply #46 on: 07/ 8/14 - 06:56PM »
If I can get the lights hooked up in time, I might tow it out to the work day and get some ideas for finishing up a few items.  Steve, can you send me your address or directions?

Offline Cook5

• Club Members
  • Level 2
« Reply #47 on: 07/11/14 - 03:56PM »
I got the lights wired up this morning and tested them.  Everything works fine.  I installed small LED marker lights on the fenders as MO-DOT requires marker lights.  When I built the fenders, I didn't think far enough ahead to install some wireway for this.  Just one of many errors.  So to route the wiring, I bought some automotive decal adhesive and glued the wiring to the inside of the fender and sprayed it with undercoat to protect it & mask it.  It looks okay.  A channel welded in would have been much better but since I've already coated the fenders, I didn't want to go back & weld on them.  I like the Jeep-style LED taillights though, they worked out well.

And marker lights.  They're surprisingly bright.

Also, my neighbor who makes vinyl signs stopped by to B.S. because he's slow so he cranked out some Jeep logos for me and installed them.  They look great!

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #48 on: 08/26/14 - 01:12PM »
Kelly, any updates?  (and thanks for the radiator info!).
Mo Printer

Offline Cook5

• Club Members
  • Level 2
« Reply #49 on: 08/28/14 - 11:41AM »
Steve, I have done some more but haven't posted up pics yet.  I do have the first camping trip scheduled for the 12th of Sept. so it'll have to be ready by then.  Been really busy at work with 100Deg days!  I'll get some updates posted soon.  Thanks for asking.

Offline Cook5

• Club Members
  • Level 2
« Reply #50 on: 09/ 5/14 - 06:32PM »
I do have all of the support poles built now and the tent is actually finished!  First we had to make brackets that we could weld to the support poles that would hinge down into the trailer when it's folded down.  That took some finagling.  It took me a couple of tries also to get the shape of the poles correct to match the profile of the tent.  I bent the main supports out of 3/4" emt and the cross supports out of 1/2" emt.  We put a 1/4" solid rod into the 1/2" conduit and welded it in so that it can slide into 1/4" holes drilled into the main supports.  It turned out really nice and is actually very solid.  I also got the A/C mounted on slide mounts and it's running.  I still have to get the frame for the bench seat made and about a hundred little loose ends to clean up.  Hopefully I'll make some good head-way on it next week.

Hinge brackets we made and welded to the support poles.  They fold inside the box.

This is the 1/4" rod with some nuts we slid on to space it in the 1/2" conduit.

Here's a shot of the tent set up with the A/C unit installed. 

Offline Cook5

• Club Members
  • Level 2
« Reply #51 on: 09/ 5/14 - 06:39PM »
Here's a shot from the back of the trailer.

Here's a shot of the inside.  It is actually pretty roomy for such a small trailer.  Queen size bed.  Room to stand up.

I ran the A/C for about an hour with it sitting inside my hot shop and was able to bring the temp inside the tent to about 72 degrees.

Offline Cook5

• Club Members
  • Level 2
« Reply #52 on: 09/ 5/14 - 06:48PM »
So to wrap it up (other than the kitchen box), I've got the cushions for the bench seat ordered, the materials for the frame of the seat will be here monday and I should be able to finish trimming out the electrical devices then also.  Should be able to camp by next weekend.  Which is good since I have a spot reserved at Roaring River next weekend.

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #53 on: 09/ 8/14 - 01:27PM »
Verrry Nice!  I was hoping to see it this weekend at SMORR!
Mo Printer

Offline Cook5

• Club Members
  • Level 2
« Reply #54 on: 09/10/14 - 05:36PM »
I am camping this weekend, unfortunately I won't be at SMORR.  I will be at Roaring River helping girl scouts learn to fish.  The things we do for our kids huh?

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #55 on: 09/11/14 - 09:57AM »
You're a good man!  Have fun!
Mo Printer

Offline Cook5

• Club Members
  • Level 2
« Reply #56 on: 09/16/14 - 10:29AM »
Well, I got the trailer out for the first time and it went pretty well.  We didn't have any big wind or rain so I couldn't see how it worked in that but overall I was pleased with it.  With the wheel on the jack and as light as it is, it rolls around very easily.  Unhitching it just requires putting the jack down and taking some pressure off the hitch.  Then just roll it backwards and move it where you want it.  To set it up, I just put the legs in position, swing the top over (not easy since it's too heavy) and set up the tent portion.  I did time it to see how long it takes.  I can set it up in just under 10 mins. and it took me 7 mins. to take it back down.  I'm going to work on the bench seat & furnace this week to try and get them finished, I might want the furnace for hunting season.  Here are a couple of pics of the trailer set up at Roaring River campground. 

Offline mrfast

• Director of Photography
  • Level 4
« Reply #57 on: 09/19/14 - 08:42PM »
Turned out great Kelly, really looks nice!

Offline Cook5

• Club Members
  • Level 2
« Reply #58 on: 09/22/14 - 10:33PM »
Thanks Steve.  Still got some things to finish up but I'm pretty satisfied how it's turned out.  Hope to finish up the 12V system this week, I picked up a converter the other day.  I've got the design figured out, just have to get some time to wire it up and install everything.  I'm also going to try to finish the frame for the bench seat this week.  I'll post up some pictures later.  After the converter (which runs the furnace) and the bench seat, it'll be pretty well finished except for the kitchen.  Here's a picture of what I'm thinking on that...

Cook stove, sink & some storage in a pull-out drawer with some drop-down legs. 

Offline Cook5

• Club Members
  • Level 2
« Reply #59 on: 09/30/14 - 03:38PM »
I had been needing to finish off the outside receptacle and 12VDC receptacle.  I wanted them to have weather-proof covers and was trying to figure out how to get them in one nice package.  I ended up getting a double receptacle cover and converting one of them for the 12VDC.  I used a modular coax device and removed the coax connector and drilled it out for the new receptacle.  Then painted it black to match the trailer.  It turned out pretty good.