Author Topic: Evolution  (Read 4177 times)

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Evolution
« on: 01/ 6/13 - 11:43PM »
Realized I didn't have a thread for anything done to the current YJ.  Now most have seen it evolve from where I bought it as a built jeep in need of some "fixes".  So a very limited history in photos.

Day it came home behind the old 6 speed cummins.

Big dents pulled and filled.

Front shot before first trail run.

It was dark gray for a while, but no pics that I can find like that.

Then it turned Khaki and spent about a year and a half like so.

This summer/fall it got a new cage thanks to OJTV8CJ and a stack of cash for motivation!

Then this weekend thanks to a crew of semi motivated friends and jeepers my powertrain has been reinstalled and tube fenders are in the works.

Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline gjgoodale

• Level 3
  • ZMBR8D
Re: Evolution
« Reply #1 on: 05/17/13 - 06:06PM »
Love it!
Check the OJT Facebook page<br />http://www.facebook.com/groups/ozarksjeepthing/

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 05/17/13 - 06:15PM »
Yep now I need a pic of it sitting in the garage with broken ARP steering studs yet again.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 06/17/13 - 02:17PM »
I have a bunch of pics of the fabrication of the cage!  I will probably posting more pics from that place soon - I hope!  LOL  <evil grin>
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 06/17/13 - 02:37PM »
Ya it's probably going to under go another round of modifications in October of this year.  That is assuming I have been able to buy a house & shop.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #5 on: 05/ 4/14 - 10:45PM »
Well the Jeep has gone back under the knife.  Torn down in November and finally finished a week ago.  Lots of great help from fellow club members and friends.  Mostly just pics but I will add a bit of commentary.

The last run down Rocky Road required new rocker guards.  Found out that both rockers were rusty in the same spot so patch panels were made.

YJ Front clip removed and here you can see the nasty old shock towers that had to go as well.

Lots of body work to do as you can see the cowl had to be reworked, the corners, rockers etc.  Mocking up the Poison Spyder tube fenders.

Bill Rippey hooked me up, CJ hood, grill and tailgate as well as other minor parts for only $150.

Rough looking bunch of guys there the night we did the front clip mock up.

Cut off the nasty shock mounts.

Poison Spyder Rockers had to be massaged a bit to fit the Gen-Right rockers.

Still not sure why the CJ hood has this.

New shock hoops installed very nice product.

I don't know how much sanding we all did, or how much dust we ate but thank god it's over!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #6 on: 05/ 4/14 - 10:50PM »
Wanted to rent a booth to put down paint, and find a guy to do it that had experience.  However we did it at my home shop, I laid down the primer and Mr. Rippey did the paint work.  Not bad for a couple guys that haven't done that before.

Color was ordered as corvette Atomic Orange.

I do lover the classic CJ clip and tailgate.

Mack even made it onto the new CJ hood (at Anna's request)

Reassembly wasn't as quick as we all hoped it would be. 

For my birthday my new in-laws got me DIY beadlocks.  Something I'd been wanting for some time.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #7 on: 05/ 4/14 - 11:18PM »
Did color match on the beadlocks figure they will likely end up black after a season or two of abuse.

Redid the dash in gloss black as well as all the accessories on the tub.

The jeep was first finished on the aluminum wheels while we finished the beadlocks.

New seats were a great wedding present.

New LED tail lights via Ebay.

Here is the final product.

Offline gjgoodale

• Level 3
  • ZMBR8D
« Reply #8 on: 05/ 4/14 - 11:39PM »
Unbelievable! 
Check the OJT Facebook page<br />http://www.facebook.com/groups/ozarksjeepthing/

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #9 on: 05/ 5/14 - 01:37PM »
Awesome!  Love the color.  Nice work!
Mo Printer

Offline Jonbo

• Club Members
  • Level 2
« Reply #10 on: 05/ 5/14 - 10:08PM »
Fantastic!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #11 on: 05/12/14 - 08:34PM »
Well the shakedown Jambo run revealed a failed transmission mount.  So going to do something different there as this is far from the first one.  Everyone seemed to like the new look, next up I'll fix transmission mount, throw another u joint in for one that is starting to make noise and be back on the street/trail.

Oh and big thanks to Spiderweb Shade for this jeeps first top in several years!  Hopefully it will keep Anna from burning when we're out on the trail.

Offline vegrant

• Club Members
  • Level 1
« Reply #12 on: 05/16/14 - 12:27AM »
Looks Awesome Aaron WOW!!! Looking forward to wheeling with you soon!