Author Topic: Air Compressor advice  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Rmiller31

• Level 1
Air Compressor advice
« on: 05/13/14 - 09:01PM »
I'm going to start collecting stuff to run air tools.  I've looked at some compressor's and I'm unsure what brand etc to go with and how much I actually need. 

The only things I know for sure is that I want it to be belt driven and prefer a 115v.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Air Compressor advice
« Reply #1 on: 05/14/14 - 11:11PM »
Belt driven will keep the noise down.  So far I've had good luck with my Kobalt.  The biggest thing is identify what you want/need to run off it?  Mines just big enough for one guy to seriously sand or spray paint with.  Impacts and stuff like that are easy.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline vegrant

• Club Members
  • Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 05/16/14 - 12:11AM »
Ryan,
If you can swing a 2 stage compressor, it makes quite a bit of difference, but I am not sure they make that in 115 volt.  I have a 7.5 hp 2 stage at home(not an industrial one though) it is really just enough for one when you get to using air tools semi-heavy.  The 2 stage gives you higher pressure which in turn gives you more power and more reserve capacity.  Just my 40% of a nickels worth here.  Also if you wire for 220 V you can wire for a welder also same circuit, as you will most likely not use the compressor and welder at the same time.

Keith

Offline 01anniversaytj

• Club Members
  • Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 05/18/14 - 05:46PM »
I have a Kobalt 60g compressor, although it is on a 240 circuit i ran. Pretty quite and cost wise was about 420 bucks i believe plus a little more for the plug and wire, and circuit.  Also you going to have to plumb it up with will run at least another 120.00.  All the 120v ones were really not enough to keep up with my IR CFM requirements for my 1/2 and 3/8 impacts and things like die grinders.  I didn't like the idea of it constantly kicking on and off so much.  For the cost of 120 vs 240, not much difference and u get a much better compressor IMO.  If you have a circuit available, i would go with that,  I couldn't afford of justify the cost of a 2 stage unit.