Author Topic: P0340, P1489 CamShaft, CrankShaft, Ignition Coil? Now what?  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Lingbeck13

Okay, ladies and gentlemen please help!  We have been using the Jeep to move the last few weeks just fine up until this past week.  I drove a load full of plants a couple of miles to my sister's house for safe keeping while we were in the process of selling the old house and buying the new. 

2004 Jeep Wrangler SE

The jeep ran as usual- no issues.  I turned it off in her driveway, unloaded the plants and went back to the Jeep to head home.  I had accidentally left my key in the ON position, but had only been away from the vehicle for about 10minutes.  The Jeep started fine, but only ran about 45seconds to a minute before dying.  When I tried to restart it, it just cranked. After a few tries the crank seemed to be more of a "skwee" than the normal crank. We checked very basics, gas level, etc and it all appeared to be okay.  We tried to roll/push start it (though we weren't really sure that was even possible) without luck. After about half an hour of sitting we tried to start it again and it cranked normally a couple of times prior to returning to the strange "skwee" sounding crank. In case it matters, we can see gas flowing through the fuel filter and smell gas when we try to start the engine.  Finally, we just parked it in my sister's driveway and covered it for the night.  The codes on the digital display are P0340, P1489.

The next evening we picked up the three parts our internet research said were most likely with those codes. We replaced the camshaft, crankshaft and ignition coil one by one hoping to solve the issue.  So far no luck, no change in symptoms what so ever.

It is too hot to be driving a truck with a top, so I have to get my Jeep running.  Really, with us moving we desperately need the extra vehicle.  Does anyone have any other ideas what we should try with those two codes and symptoms?

Offline Jonbo

• Club Members
  • Level 2
I would use starting fluid to eliminate fuel issues,  next I would do a spark test.

Offline 340YJ

• Club Members
  • Level 1
I have a snap on computer and could come up and scale it and see what could be wrong. Have you checked your fuses

Offline Lingbeck13

After re-replacing all the same parts to make sure we didn't get faulty ones, we finally broke down late yesterday afternoon and had it towed to a shop.  Heard back this morning that it was the timing belt.  That was probably beyond my current capabilities anyway so it probably would have had to end up there anyway. 

Fortunately there was no damage to the engine. New belt kit should be installed by Monday.  After nearly two weeks down, it will be a pain in  the wallet, but it could have been worse. My family will probably think it is worth it just so I stop whining when I pass a Jeep driving in the car or truck!  I learned a bunch with this issue and appreciate the assistance everyone!