Author Topic: Moab Questions & Steel Door Dilemma  (Read 1514 times)

Offline SimsATC

Moab Questions & Steel Door Dilemma
« on: 09/ 5/14 - 05:08PM »
I am planning a family vacation out to Moab end of April beginning of May 2015 and wondering who has been out there that can give some suggestions on trails that would be a good for a beginner. I has a 2014 JK 4 door all factory Oscar Mike (Freedom Edition). I have not gone wheeling yet and I am a first time Jeep owner. I won't be going with any other Jeeps and I don't have a winch to get me out of any sticky situations and would prefer to have her come back in one piece and not much damage if possible.

Also she's got a hard top and steel doors. I plan on getting a bikini top and tonno cover before I go so I don't have to take the hard top with me but I'm not sure what to do with the doors yet. I have to ride there and back (Nixa to Moab) with 2 dogs in the Jeep so I can't just go doors off but I want to be able to have doors off while in Moab. I have looked at some soft 2 piece doors but looking at about $800 and looking to keep costs down. What have you done or what would you suggest if I took the steel doors with me? We will be staying at an RV park and while out in Moab there will be 4 dogs staying in the RV during the day so putting the doors inside the RV isn't really an option. Not sure how comfortable I would be with them just sitting outside the RV while no one is there for possible theft or damage or do you even think theft is a valid concern?

Offline Jonbo

• Club Members
  • Level 2
Re:
« Reply #1 on: 09/ 7/14 - 11:20AM »
Try to never go alone.  There is a spot (can't remember for sure) in town where peeps post trail rides.  There are also local groups that might let you tag along.  You can always wait at the trail head and join up with a passing group.

Offline SimsATC

Re: Moab Questions & Steel Door Dilemma
« Reply #2 on: 09/ 7/14 - 12:24PM »
Thanks. I would prefer not to go alone but since it's a family vacation not much of a choice with going with others but thanks for the advice of finding others while out there I think that is what I will do so I am not solo out there.

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #3 on: 09/ 8/14 - 01:10PM »
I am planning a family vacation out to Moab end of April beginning of May 2015 and wondering who has been out there that can give some suggestions on trails that would be a good for a beginner. I has a 2014 JK 4 door all factory Oscar Mike (Freedom Edition). I have not gone wheeling yet and I am a first time Jeep owner. I won't be going with any other Jeeps and I don't have a winch to get me out of any sticky situations and would prefer to have her come back in one piece and not much damage if possible.

Also she's got a hard top and steel doors. I plan on getting a bikini top and tonno cover before I go so I don't have to take the hard top with me but I'm not sure what to do with the doors yet. I have to ride there and back (Nixa to Moab) with 2 dogs in the Jeep so I can't just go doors off but I want to be able to have doors off while in Moab. I have looked at some soft 2 piece doors but looking at about $800 and looking to keep costs down. What have you done or what would you suggest if I took the steel doors with me? We will be staying at an RV park and while out in Moab there will be 4 dogs staying in the RV during the day so putting the doors inside the RV isn't really an option. Not sure how comfortable I would be with them just sitting outside the RV while no one is there for possible theft or damage or do you even think theft is a valid concern?
I've been several times, and have great maps & info.  Give me a call and I'll hook you up on what you need.  Steve 827-5397
Mo Printer

Offline SimsATC

« Reply #4 on: 09/16/14 - 11:16AM »
Thanks Steve. Been pretty busy with work an other things. I will try to give you a call when I can or if you will e at the Tri-Lakes event I will catch you there.