Author Topic: Washita October 20, 2014  (Read 868 times)

Offline Jonbo

• Club Members
  • Level 2
Washita October 20, 2014
« on: 10/21/14 - 12:47PM »
OJT Members Run
Washita October 20, 2014

It was warming up nicely as we assemble at the lower gate of Asymmetric Solutions? parking area.  Owner John Walls and Midwest Jeepthing, having teamed up to allow off road enthusiast continuing access to Washita Mountain, welcomed us in.  Asymmetric Solutions offers advanced personal protection and firearm training.  Military, law enforcement as well as novice civilians learn new and time tested life saving procedures.  Thanks to all, whose efforts keep Washita?s treasures available to all us sightseers.

Sue, Justin, Aaron, and Darren are waiting on us as we arrive from our night stay at Farmington.  Aaron Larose, Anna, Ryan, Carrie, Bill, Dianna, Chris, Al, Brian, Peggy, Clint, Shawna and children, Lorena and I greet them and prepare for our assault. Since this was a private event we had the whole thing to ourselves.  Sue, Justin, and Aaron Hampton are trail marshals from Midwest Jeepthing and were there in case of emergencies.  We invited them to join us and soon we were on the trail.

As we were working our way to the training wall I brush a dead snag with a rear tire, sending a widow maker hurtling towards Chris, a grim reminder of Rubijon?s uncouth and boorish manners.  We dodge trees and mud holes until we arrive at the Training Wall.  TW is a stepped bluff of granite that always bring out the dare devil in us.  Aaron L is first up and soon he is between a rock and a hard place.  The ledges to the front of him, tree to the rear; stuck in the middle again, as the song goes.  With a little cable persuasion he is at the top, ready to spot the rest of us. Susan is next in line and with a ten count we were flabbergasted as she did her best to impersonate a Saturn V moon rocket. WOW!  The woods fell silent in disbelief of what we just witnessed, although there isn?t collaborating evidence, I swear she was channeling Shelby Tanner and her rock bouncer!  Since I couldn?t follow that performance; I just tried to crawl it.  After a couple spin outs I bump over.  Darren was next and with front tires in the air he makes it to the top.  Everyone gets a little air, but makes it up with no issues and on we go towards the Bald.  Or so we think; as we mount our chariots steam is seen exiting Chris? jeep.  Bottom hose has split venting coolant.  Justin and Aaron H. accompany Chris to the parking area and then into town for parts. 

Next we come to the tank traps that seem to multiply like rabbits on the ridge top.  With reckless abandon Bill probes their depth and he is soon wishing for some 44? Boggers.  With forward progress stymied, he teaches us the meaning of tenacity as he reverses out an inch at a time.  Clint, seeking bragging rights on Bill, is next to fall into temporary insanity and is soon mud drenched and immobile, but a quick tug and he is ready for action.  The rest of us were able to miss the hole and soon we were on our way.  We save Whiskey Tango Foxtrot for next time and bounce our way up Brain Fart tugging a few and enjoying the screeching of our control arms, as the granite boulders messaged them. 

At the summit we behold our Creator?s Majesty, summed up by a glorious vista, and partake of our sack lunch.  While we were fellowshipping; Chris, Aaron, and Justin return completing our group.  As we are picking up Justin notices his rear track bar is dangling.  The axle bracket has sheared off the axle.  Aaron uses a couple of straps to make a trail repair and soon we are making our decent.

On Charlie Mike we drop off ledges and bounce off trees to the bottom until we cross Dragons Teeth.  Darren and I make the left and with great spotting by Aaron L. we soon make the loop to rejoin our group.  We pass the water tower and with our jeep bug sated, we decide to make our way towards the parking lot.  Everyone makes it out still running and without tow straps, which for Washita is an accomplishment all on its own.  We say our goodbyes and make new vows to return soon.  Then as we are leaving Brian?s truck sputters to a stop refusing to advance further.  Aaron H. with testing equipment in hand soon announces the fuel pump has shot craps and will have to be replaced.  With no option other than replacing it, the decision is made to return Sunday to repair it.  We adjourn to the Catfish Kettle for a repast of all you can eat catfish, chicken, and shrimp served home style with all the fixings.  Oh My Goodness, it was good!  We waddle out and meet at a billiard hall for refreshments and fellowship. 

On Sunday we break our fast at Steak and Shake, say our farewells and disperse.  Brian had skipped breakfast to start on the pump, so Chris and I headed out to lend a hand.  We arrive to be pleasantly surprised with the progress Brian had made and in short order it is running.  Awesome!  With the last of the wild geese loaded we go our separate ways with our friendometers on full and our memories secure.  Make sure to go to Washita?s Face Book Page and let John Wall know how much we appreciated him opening his door for our enjoyment.  Happy Wheeling!  -Jon

Offline Martinez

• Club Members
  • Level 4
Re: Washita October 20, 2014
« Reply #1 on: 10/21/14 - 12:59PM »
Great write up!  I always enjoy reading your stories!
Take it out and play with it!

Offline mrfast

• Director of Photography
  • Level 4
Re: Washita October 20, 2014
« Reply #2 on: 10/23/14 - 11:57PM »
for sure, for sure, makes me hate missing this run even more!