Author Topic: WELDER RECOMMENDATIONS  (Read 3900 times)

Offline mudmonster

• Level 1
WELDER RECOMMENDATIONS
« on: 06/ 3/06 - 01:46AM »
IF YOU HAVE SEEN MY POST IN THE OTHER SECTION I AM GOING TO BE BUILDING MY JEEP I NEED TO KNOW WHAT GENERAL TOOLS I WILL NEED OTHER THAN REGULAR HAND TOOLS LIKE WELDERS OR TORCHES I AM WANTING TO RUN 44S ON 60 DYNATRACS AND NEED TO BUILD/BUY THE LIFT AND OTHER STUFF  WHAT DO YOU GUYS HAVE WOULD IT BE CHEAPER TO PAY SOMEONE TO DO IT VS BUYING THE TOOLS AND DOING IT MYSELF

Offline Big Pimpin

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
Re: WELDER RECOMMENDATIONS
« Reply #1 on: 06/ 3/06 - 10:01AM »
Do you know how to weld and fabricate?
The phrase "You almost made it" breaks a lot of things.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 06/ 3/06 - 04:44PM »
If he has to ask what tools he needs to use, I highly doubt he has any ideal on how to use them.  Much less build something safe.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
« Reply #3 on: 06/ 3/06 - 07:23PM »
Johns 4x4 has built numerous rigs, that and a few club members would probably not mind making a few bucks either..just look at their rigs as references....if you really want it done right and have a little patience then go with Danny, the founder of the off road park in semour, SMORR, ive heard nothing but good things about him and hes resonable, however he does take his time., which in a way thats good.
if you have any clue how to fab stuff then buy a lincoln MIG or a Miller...ive found that Harbor freight is only a good place to buy stuff like screwdrivers and pry bars, not welders.   I have a lincoln 175 and ive had it 2 years and am still learning....in fact im thinking about taking a class on it.....good luck. :cool:
I like jeeps!!!

Offline ford381stroker

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: 06/ 3/06 - 09:14PM »
I just got a Lincoln Tig Welder.  If you want pretty, clean and precise welds get you a Tig Welder.  It will require patience and practive.  But it is much more versitile as far as what you can weld.  You can weld aluminum all the way to tiatnium and steel.  You can get attatchments to them and stick weld if you want to weld spring perches or frame extensions.

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: 06/ 4/06 - 08:05PM »
well im not gonna slam you like toyotaguy, but it does sound as if you havent alot of experience.

i like my millermatic 210, a 251 is same but is more computerized.  havent had any problems with mine.

if you need spring hangers, u bolt plates, link mounts, truss, and hd diff covers, i can email you pics of what i carry.  my prices will be less than most any other thing you can find.

if you need help building it, i would be happy to help. afterall that is what this club is for. slamming doesnt help anyone.  i would recommend a strong background in welding if you arent proficient.  there are classes at vocational schools that are cheap that will help in that area.

anything you want to do is on the net.  so searching will help you out alot.  fab work isnt hard, just the welding and knowing how things work.

i bought my miller from kirks welding in sprngfld and they gave me a really good deal, about 300 less than anyone else. it also helped that i was dropping $3k there for other things also.

if your building a rig and you dont have alot of skills, stick with leaf springs. and dont be afraid to ask questions.  this isnt pirate4x4 so the slamming shouldnt happen or happen again.  ask your questions as only the dumb ones are the ones not asked.

if you need help, just pm me and ill answer when i log on.  all in all i would pay someone to build one if i were in your shoes.

geoff
for rock crawling info and events   go to   www.rockcrawlinginfo.com

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: 06/ 4/06 - 09:03PM »
I agree with not slamming the kid, MO' power to you, if your folks are flipping for the tab.  And, actually, screwing up, and redoing is a great way to learn.  Besides, maybe it'll be his calling, and he can open a decent shop in Springfield, God knows we need one.  Going to Shane's or John's is a pain in the ass.  Good luck, and pm me if you need any help.  Remember:
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #7 on: 06/ 4/06 - 09:21PM »
Just remember all the encouragement you gave this guy who probably can't weld to go ahead and build his own stuff...

That way when the welds break and his axle falls out on I-44 and it gets someone hurt you told him to do it.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline mudmonster

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 06/ 5/06 - 12:32AM »
BOY YOU GUYS ARE ROUGH - BUT I LIKE IT I HAVE SPENT MY LIFE AROUND PEOPLE THAT ONLY WANTED BE AROUND ME BECAUSE OF THE STUFF THAT MY PARENTS HAVE SO I KINDA LIKE HAVING MY BALLS BUSTED

NO FORMAL EXPERIENCE BUT A FREIND OF MINE IS REALLY GOOD AT CARPENTRY AND HAS WELDED SOME STUFF AT A PLACE HE USED TO WORK SO WE SHOULD BE OKAY I WOULD RATHER DO IT MYSELF RATHER THAN PAY SOMEBODY SINCE THAT IS THE EASY WAY TO DO SOMETHING TRUST ME I KNOW

SINCE TOYOTAGIRL IS SO NICE MAYBE HE WILL COME HELP ME :brows:

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #9 on: 06/ 5/06 - 12:38AM »
Well don't know about toyotagirl but toyotaguy isn't much on helping whiney rich kids.  I'm glad to hear you have tough skin because the more you post the worse it will get i'm sure.

Go to a welding shop and tell them you have your parents Credit Card and i'm sure they will help you get what you need.

Offline freds_94

• Level 3
« Reply #10 on: 06/ 5/06 - 11:23AM »
i'm not for sure about this, but for the most part,  people in this club are willing to help and offer good advice, not all of us are quite as rude as toyotaguy

as i read the post, he wasnt wanting to know what welders to use, just some basic other tools

I WILL NEED OTHER THAN REGULAR HAND TOOLS LIKE WELDERS OR TORCHES

i'm just tired of seeing people get slammed for asking questions, just my .02
trying to raise a teenager is like nailing jello to a tree

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
« Reply #11 on: 06/ 5/06 - 12:17PM »
my ? :confused:  is what is a "toyota guy" doing on a jeep forum?  i think someone is confused.  found a cj 7 or 8 yet Guy, so you can conform and be ...one of us....besides give the kid a break its not his fault he's rich.
I like jeeps!!!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #12 on: 06/ 5/06 - 12:28PM »
Actually i've been a club member and owned more jeeps than the majority of people on this board.  

You guys are right I do owe mudmonster an apology and I'm sorry for coming off like an ass.  I'm just burnt out on stereotypical rich guys blocking the trail because of breakage and what not they have no idea how to fix.  

So i apologize mudmonster for not giving you a chance.  Maybe I've just been on pirate to long....

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #13 on: 06/ 5/06 - 02:08PM »
Dude calls Aaron a girl and Aaron gives him some shet to think about and all of a sudden BAM.  LOL

This is some funny stuff and I agree with ToyotaGirl.  I think he was asking about welders and stuff.  The thread title is WELDER RECCOMENDATIONS.

You guys are tooo funny.
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #14 on: 06/ 5/06 - 02:12PM »
Which one of us has owned/built more jeeps brad??? You or me? LOL

Heading back home see ya'll in a month or so or at RROCK.