Author Topic: Barretts CYTJ build thread (ozark offroad fab)  (Read 10459 times)

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!
Re: Barretts CYTJ build thread (ozark offroad fab)
« Reply #30 on: 10/ 7/06 - 10:51PM »
well the top rail runs from the windshield mount to the rear of the tub, a welded joint in the a pillar takes up less space. the smallest 1.75 in die is 5.5 clr and to me that looks gawdy. also the joint the way i did it becomes a node which is stronger.  the windsheild mount is not the main focus on the strength of the cage.  it is strong enough not to collapse, but the main focus is above the drivers head.  

with the final gussetting, this will be a super strong cage.

so i guess, a part is astetics, the other is is what i feel is stronger.  a straight a pillar would be stronger, yet we always bend them to match the windsheild and weaken the tubing.  

i have yet to roll one the same way 2 times with different styles of a pillars.  i just prefer to be a bit different in my approach i guess
for rock crawling info and events   go to   www.rockcrawlinginfo.com

Offline tough91yj

• Level 2
« Reply #31 on: 10/ 8/06 - 12:19AM »
Quote from: "OJTV8XJ"

:rolleyes:

dont give me that :brows:

the way u said it doesnt make since, and still doesnt, but its all cool
ttp://www.kore4x4customs.com/

beadlocks, truss's, link/shock tabs. controll arms.

Offline Liberty03

• Level 3
« Reply #32 on: 10/ 8/06 - 12:35AM »
All I can say is this cage is beef, this entire rig is well built and I can't wait to get it out next weekend to break it in right.

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #33 on: 10/ 8/06 - 04:56PM »
I definately wasn't bagging on it and assumed that the joint was made up for that purpose.  I "personally" don't like the look but that is why I bend my cages differently.  I was just confirming that he was wanting to keep that windshield mount, which means that he is planning on running his windsheild.

Thanks for the clarification, Geoff.  If you are going to be at Fall Fest I will get with you then.

Quote from: "tough91yj"
Quote from: "OJTV8XJ"

:rolleyes:

dont give me that :brows:

the way u said it doesnt make since, and still doesnt, but its all cool

I can give you all the stuff that I want because of this thread:

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710044&page=2

Have a nice day.   :rolleyes:  

BTW - Everytime that I have referred to those bars I have called them sidebars because they are not hoops.  Hoops run DS to PS, Halo's are a continuous bar over the driver area, and side bars are on the side.
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline tough91yj

• Level 2
« Reply #34 on: 10/ 8/06 - 06:01PM »
haha, so i guess one day u woke up and you were perfect at fabbing stuff?? gotta start somewhere and learn. geez.

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #35 on: 10/ 8/06 - 08:06PM »
Nope - it has taken me a while to get where I am.  I learn something new all the time.  But, I also don't post pics of crappy welds and then turn around 6 months later saying that I wanted to fabricate stuff for other people.   :bigeyes:   Did you take a class or just been practicing?
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline tough91yj

• Level 2
« Reply #36 on: 10/ 8/06 - 11:32PM »
i agree, but my work has improved 1000%
here is what im doing now

Offline tough91yj

• Level 2
« Reply #37 on: 10/ 8/06 - 11:33PM »
ehh, sorry i shouldnt have hi jacked the thread. :bowdown:

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
« Reply #38 on: 10/ 8/06 - 11:47PM »
well i wont bag on anyones anything, starting this business, there will be people who dont like somethings and will look for me to bag so they have a reason to mouth.

i have no real favorite style of rollcage. i like the halo, the traditional hoop style, and other ones that just come up.  i am not a perfect welder, some look great (controlled areas) some look not so so great. i do get enough penetration and so forth.

i am not bluetorch or poison spider. i dont want to be either. my stuff is a hobby. i dont make alot of money, but i enjoy building stuff and seeing people have a great time in the things i modify, build, or whatever.

so with that all said, barrett came over today and we got a little bit done. had some wrong parts, but should still fire it up this week and be ready for fall 4xfest

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #39 on: 10/ 8/06 - 11:56PM »
Did you decide against Xing the back?  When you paintshopped the lines in it showed an X and a cross bar for 5 points (I'm assuming).

Aaron
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
« Reply #40 on: 10/ 8/06 - 11:58PM »
on the "A" pillars, there will be a 3" wide 1/4" flat plate that will weld to the outside of the tubing outward and bolt into the existing holes of the tj tub.  this is the strongest part of the tub and will add a significant amount of strength to the a pillar.

i like to tie them into that section for strength reasons and in some cases it looks cool too. i am lucky as barrett and given me alot o room to do what i want.  since i ran out of tubing, the rest of the cage work will have to wait till tommorrow to see if they have a bundle for me to pick up.

i will be adding a holy crap handle on the pass. side and a lower tube (dash stringer addon) so that it can be filled with steel and made into a gauge cluster.  there are some stringers to go into the roof section still and some other 45* brace tubes.

Brad i never take your questions or comments as bagging, since i have talked with you several times in person, i know you and take your stuff as either wanting to know something or as constructive.  cause neither one of us have a wheeling jeep, we always make someone elses wheel first.......lmao

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
« Reply #41 on: 10/ 9/06 - 12:02AM »
toyotaguy, im still gonna add it, i thought i had another stick of tube, but it turned out to be soe 2 inch sched 80 stuff.

since it is a sunday, i couldnt call up for a bundle of tubing so i have to wait till the weekdays

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
« Reply #42 on: 10/10/06 - 10:34PM »
didnt get a bunch done tonight, tommorrow night will be the treat.

tommorrow nights goal is this

new bushings front to back
brake lines front to back
steering box install and steering link built
driveshafts
clock dana300 up 3-5 more degrees
build transfercase crossmember
finish cage
install radiator
start the thing
flush hydraulic assist sustem then weld mount to tierod

then all we have left is the exhaust

i fel i will be doing another all nighter on this to get it ready. will provide plenty of pics of the dirty work tommorrow night late.

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
« Reply #43 on: 10/12/06 - 10:53AM »
too tired to post pics at 1am or so, but we fired it up last night, swapped in the long tail shaft dana300 and took out the short shaft one.  installed the new shackles front and rear and installed brake lines and the twin stick.

still have a long way to go, probably no pics tonight because i see another late late night.

things left to do are

radiator
driveshafts (install)
bleed brakes
finish cage and install last 2 seats
install agr steering box and have hydraulic lines built then bleed system
exhaust
build tranny crossmember
finish fuel lines
shocks and shock hoops

and thats all

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #44 on: 10/12/06 - 10:55AM »
Why swap out a short shaft for a long shaft?
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato