Author Topic: My ho made bumpers  (Read 2783 times)

Offline cpj

• Level 2
My ho made bumpers
« on: 04/25/07 - 09:23PM »
And Im the ho that made em'  

I used some 2x4 3/16 rectangle tubing, wacked the ends off it off, welded some 1/4 inch back on to box it in, ground it down and hit it with some spray on bedliner from wally world. I should have used 1/8th inch to box it in, but I had the 1/4 laying around. I should have waited, because the 1/4inch was a pain in the butt to mess with. I had to do alot of grinding to get it right. Oh well, they work. Front bumper is done, rear is getting close.

I just cut the factory front bumper into sections and used it for the mounts for the front.

Once in a while that perfect part rolls around that the redneck craftsman sees and goes, "this would be just perfect as a ________."

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: My ho made bumpers
« Reply #1 on: 04/25/07 - 10:37PM »
That's awesome man! You make em air tight so you can use it for air on the trail? What are you making next?
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline cpj

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 04/25/07 - 10:54PM »
Quote from: "whitehead"
That's awesome man! You make em air tight so you can use it for air on the trail? What are you making next?

I dont know if they are air tight or not. I thought about doing that, but I was in a hurry to get them done. I can always reweld them if I decide to do that though. (that is if they are not airtight already)
Dont know what Im building next. More than likely Im replacing the drivers side floor board. If not, Ill have some good flinstones brakes going on. Roger also found a little rust spot on the back of my frame, that is going to get fixed also.
Once in a while that perfect part rolls around that the redneck craftsman sees and goes, "this would be just perfect as a ________."

Offline cpj

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: 04/26/07 - 01:25AM »
Here is the rear after some grinding.

Neat grinding pic, shot one handed. (not safe)

In the other pics, you can see that I had alot of weld built up. More than was needed to stick them together really. I was trying to make sure that I didnt end up with pits like this one. Here are some holes, and also where I patched some others. Thats the cool thing about metal work. If you dont like it, weld it up and grind it back down.

This is a sweet pitcure, I think. Check out the little orange balls coming off of the arc.

Offline jpantleo

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 06/ 4/07 - 12:34AM »
i am getting ready to make me front and rear bumpers from some of that kind of steel.  got any extra?  if not i am looking to maybe do 2x6 tubing.  

do you have any specs on your bumper? measurements, bracket measurements, etc?

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #5 on: 06/ 4/07 - 03:20PM »
I would not do 2x6 that it 2 more inches of ground cleance you can save
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #6 on: 06/ 4/07 - 04:08PM »
Quote from: "OldYJ"
I would not do 2x6 that it 2 more inches of ground cleance you can save

You mean departure angle - his tank hangs way lower than the frame. :brows:
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline cpj

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: 06/ 6/07 - 03:30AM »
Quote from: "jpantleo"
i am getting ready to make me front and rear bumpers from some of that kind of steel.  got any extra?  if not i am looking to maybe do 2x6 tubing.  

do you have any specs on your bumper? measurements, bracket measurements, etc?

I have no extra steel, I bougt ten feet of it and used all but about 6 or so inches. The front bumper is 54 inches long, and the rear is 60 inches long.
No measurement on the front, just centered the pieces of factory bumper on it. Dont use pieces of the factory bumper by the way.  On the rear, just measure the center of all the holes, then mark and drill.

Offline jpantleo

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 06/13/07 - 12:46PM »
i am picking up 4 - 3ft x 3ft x 1/4 steel plates tonite.  they will be the start of getting my bumpers made!

i will post pics as well.

Josh

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #9 on: 06/13/07 - 05:06PM »
yes Brad peps I dont know or did not know at the time of the posting, so unsure of their terminology awareness or comprehension so I was following the K.I.S.S. philosophy
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson