Author Topic: TJ with the shakes  (Read 3349 times)

Offline 4wheelin

• Level 2
TJ with the shakes
« on: 08/20/07 - 02:25PM »
I just bought a 05 Wrangler(6cyl 6 speed) that is stock with 15x8 wheels and 30x9.50xr15 tires AT. Jeep already looked at it and checked everything over and said its okay. But between 40 and 50 mph the front end starts shaking real bad. A couple of times the whole jeep started shaking almost causing a wreck, any other speeds and its fine.

Anyone have ideas on how to fix this or what they have tried.

Thanks Nick

Blueyellow

Re: TJ with the shakes
« Reply #1 on: 08/20/07 - 02:30PM »
It's Obvious YOur jeep is having With drawl Shakes From Not going Wheelin!!!

Check your Tire Pressure then Go Get the Wheels Ballanced and Also Track Bars If they have been worn that CAn Cause the Death Wobble

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 08/20/07 - 02:39PM »
Just like Al said, on top of that look for busted belts in the tires, easy way to check tires is swap front/rears and see if it stops.

Other culprits could be worn balljoints and tierod ends.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #3 on: 08/20/07 - 02:44PM »
mine did the same thing till i got my tires rotated and balanced.

i wouldnt think it would be ball joints, tre, or track bar on an '05 with stock sized tires and wheels.

how many miles are on the jeep?
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline 4wheelin

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: 08/20/07 - 03:35PM »
The jeep has 10,000 miles on it.
I was thinking the steering stabilizer could be too weak?

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #5 on: 08/20/07 - 03:36PM »
i dont think i would be that with so few miles and small tires. i would start with a tire rotation and balance.
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #6 on: 08/20/07 - 03:43PM »
I would start with the tires.  A steering stabilizer can't cause a vibration.  They simply HIDE a real problem.  A good steering setup can be run without a stabilizer.

First either rotate your tires and see if it goes away or take it and get them rebalanced.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #7 on: 08/20/07 - 04:01PM »
Nick, make sure the trackbar at the axle end is tight and you might check the alignment.

~~~~~~ Death Wobble ~~~~~~ Scares the hell out of you don't it!
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline 4wheelin

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: 08/20/07 - 04:16PM »
Thanks, Ill give it a try

Offline HVACMASTER

• Level 3
« Reply #9 on: 08/20/07 - 05:31PM »
i've had that before on a CJ-7 and a Blazer I owned, both times I jacked up and spun tires to check for roundness.  Each time there was a very noticable hump in tire tread from busted belt. .02 no refund or exchange.

Offline YellowCheepJeep

• Level 1
« Reply #10 on: 08/20/07 - 08:52PM »
Last year when my Jeep broke down - well 1 of it's times - lol  - it had the "death wobble" as you all call it - it turned out to be the tires - it would only happen between 40 and 50 mph - you could get past it under 40 or over 50 mph - the rear differential went out - they fixed that and they put a stabilizer bar or sway bar - I am not sure - maybe they are the same thing - lol - and it seemed to correct the problem a little - they said the rear end going out - was causing the vibration and shakeing - I think when they rotated the tires and balanced it - that that was the problem - but then again I don't know how to fix them - I only know how to tear it up - lolol
Amy :biggrin:
Amy Allan
YellowCheepJeep

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #11 on: 08/20/07 - 08:59PM »
Here is a good read for ya...

http://www.itsajeepthing.com/node/23
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline Bradman

• Level 4
  • II've got a buzz and a woody, and I'm ready to go!
« Reply #12 on: 08/21/07 - 12:18AM »
If none of theese things fix it (wich they should) just don't drive between 40-50 mph, and you should be fine....
1999 TJ  2.5 inch Rancho Rockrawler lift  33inch BFG's  Loc-Rites front and rear!<br /><br />Ranch Rocker!<br />http://smorr.net/images/ranch_rockers_avatar50.png

Offline HVACMASTER

• Level 3
« Reply #13 on: 08/21/07 - 12:23AM »
YOU GOT TO LISTEN TO BRADMAN, HE HAS ALOT OF EXPERIENCE WITH THE OBVIOUS.

Offline iJeep

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: 08/22/07 - 01:24AM »
Since it has pretty much stock size tires and no lift take it to the dealer for warranty.

It is probably the onset of death wobble.  Usually Jeeps that are lifted over 3-4" will get that, but it has happened that bone stock Jeeps will get it too.  It is usually caused by track bars, bad shocks, bad tires/balance or bad bushings in the front end.  I personally feel that sometimes it is caused due to slight variances in the assembly of the brackets on the frame and axle.  

A larger steering stabilizer might help some, but I would really try to solve the problem instead of lessen the symptoms, if possible.  A larger steering stabilizer is a good idea if you are running bigger than stock tires, but it probably isn't needed in this case (though it wouldn't hurt).

P.S.  If one dealer won't do anything, go to another.  New car dealers are horrible about doing warranty work.  They are usually too lazy to look for service bulletins and don't care enough to try to fix it since they would rather keep the racks full of out of warranty rigs paying full price for repairs.