Author Topic: Looking for a new investment, how about a bridge??  (Read 4378 times)

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Being in the finance field this one really caught me off guard.  It makes sense when you think about it.  However I never saw it coming.  The question have you thought about buying a toll road for retirement just never came up.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/17/news/international/macquarie_infrastructure_funds.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2007091810
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
Re: Looking for a new investment, how about a bridge??
« Reply #1 on: 09/18/07 - 08:25PM »
did it ever say how long it will take to see a return on that? or did i miss it?
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 09/18/07 - 10:11PM »
Rough guess would be at least 60yrs.  All would depend on your time value of money calculations and what you expect growth to be.  I however never saw it stated.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 09/18/07 - 10:29PM »
i was just wondering how many tolls it would take to turn a profit. how much traffic the bridge sees.

toyota guy: do you work for a local firm/group?
my bro inlaw and his partner just opened up there own investment/ finacial co. and he is wanting me to take the courses to join him.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 09/18/07 - 10:32PM »
No I'm trying to finish up my degree in Finance @ MSU.  

With a 99 year lease, giving that most would consider that a low risk investment i'm going to assume they are looking at 15% annual return, but can't really run the numbers without a whole lot more info.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: 09/18/07 - 11:39PM »
yeah i was hoping to see numbers like number of cars daily and what toll for cars, trucks, and semi truck is.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #6 on: 09/18/07 - 11:40PM »
What is the name of your Bro-in law's firm?

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #7 on: 09/19/07 - 12:24AM »
so whose money do  the grieving families take when your toll bridge collapses and kills everyone on it... because you can't afford to do million dollar maintenance every year on it. Or does someone magically do that for you because this is a dream investment opportunity...

EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #8 on: 09/19/07 - 12:26AM »
Well that is one reason municpailities are starting to do this.  It creates needed revenue for rebuilding.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: 09/19/07 - 12:38AM »
Denny-Shearrer interpises, they do investment stuff along with some real estate and development things.

right now im kinda just their grunt to do work on their "flip houses" we are working on a 12,000 sq ft house in Highland Springs right now, and hope to get a few more started this year. i want to go back to school, and be a bigger part of this company either as a job forman, or part of the investment part. although im not sure how well that will work since i am a really BIG fan of spending money, and not saving it. im also thinking about some computer stuff too, but not real sure yet.

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #10 on: 10/17/07 - 01:16AM »

there is a town in nebraska called plattsmouth. they charge $1.25 to cross there bridge. it is an old one lane bridge.
there are no motels in town.but there is a big liquor store.
« Last Edit: 10/17/07 - 01:20AM by CRAZY LARRY »
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline upnover

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #11 on: 10/21/07 - 05:56PM »
Flipping houses is becoming less popular now with the interest rates as high as they are and the decreased number of individuals who qualify for loans due to the change in qualifications of first-time homeowners. I've know many investors who are now stuck with homes and ready for foreclosures. Not a pretty financial statement.
Jim

I jeep, therefore I am.

Ranch Rocker!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #12 on: 10/21/07 - 06:31PM »
Ya the fall out of the sub-prime lending market has really had a backlash into the home sales.  It now greatly reduces the number of potential buyers for homes. 

Jim, what does this have to do with us buying a bridge????

Offline upnover

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #13 on: 10/21/07 - 06:25PM »
Aaron, It has nothing to do with buying a bridge - I don't think anyone on this board is going to buy a bridge. My statement was in regard to someone posting that his brother's firm is flipping a house at Highland Springs. I'm not a loone just posting stuff - I don't think   :106:
Jim

I jeep, therefore I am.

Ranch Rocker!

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: 10/21/07 - 08:17PM »
they are avoiding all the sub-prime and first time home buyers all together. they are only buying $750,000 and up, (people who buy houses like that usually are not affected by intrest rates as much as us common folk)  and they only buying at a set percentage below value. its amazing how many million dollar homes are in forclosure in springfield!

and also there are too many people doing flips on smaller houses now that the people on TV make it look so easy. (its not) so there are alot of forclosures that are half flipped houses that people got way over thier heads on.