Author Topic: DOM Tubing  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Fire Crawler

• Level 2
DOM Tubing
« on: 09/28/07 - 01:05PM »
Where is the best place in Springfield area to get tubing?
1 1/2" and 2"DOM OD - .120-.180 wall
and heavy wall .25
Name and #
Thanks

Offline jpantleo

• Level 1
Re: DOM Tubing
« Reply #1 on: 09/30/07 - 08:41AM »
You should check out Wheeler metals on Kearney Street

phone number:  417-862-5291

Offline Fire Crawler

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 09/30/07 - 10:45AM »
Thanks, I gave them a call and they didn't have the right stuff.

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 09/30/07 - 01:42PM »
I know for a fact that Rose Metals has some, but grab a jar of Vaseline before you call them, DOM has sky-rocketed lately.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline jpantleo

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 09/30/07 - 10:42PM »
i believe the tubing they have they call roll cage tubing and is better than dom, but its been awhile since i have checked on anything.

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: 09/30/07 - 11:23PM »
Basicly, DOM (drawn on/over mandrel) is structurally stronger than HREW (hot rolled something? welded)  There is no such machinist's term as "roll cage tubing".  The best tubing you can buy for a cage is DOM.  You can tell the difference by looking for a seam along the length of the tubing.  If it has a seam, it is HREW, and if it is smooth, it's DOM.  I don't have this knowledge from building cages, I have it from being a machinist for many moons.  If the stuff wheeler's is selling is seamless, it's great stuff, if it has a seam, it's decent stuff.  Any steel is going to be expensive, lately, and few places are going to be any cheaper than others.  Rose is the biggest supplier in Springfield, and they give breaks for quantity purchased.  You may be able to get some cheaper from one of the places they supply in bulk, but you need to call around to actually find some.  

Try Ozark Mountain Steel, and Rose, or even Wheelers, but be sure to find out what you're actually buying, and speak the language, (DOM, HREW) or you might be paying way too much.  Also ask what the wall thickness is.  Good luck
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #6 on: 09/30/07 - 11:25PM »
He might be selling chromoly tubing.  A step above DOM but pricey.  I don't know how big circle tracks are down here but back home  some tracks required it for cages.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline jpantleo

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 10/ 1/07 - 09:16AM »
its been about 3 years ago when i bought it and i think it was chromoly tubing.  i used it for a motorcycle frame i built.

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #8 on: 10/ 1/07 - 10:48AM »
Wheeler Metals only sells 1 3/4 or 1 1/2 x .093 wall HREW.  They call it roll cage tubing because it is what all the bombers and stuff use in their roll cages.  They have never sold Chromoly or DOM it is all HREW.  I buy some from them but normally buy from Ozark Mountain Steel, Falcon, or another secret source.

List goes like this in strength and in price:

Chromoly
DOM
HREW
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline Fire Crawler

• Level 2
« Reply #9 on: 10/ 7/07 - 09:56PM »
Thanks for the input, i'll give those a call. Either tubing would work,DOM or HREW, just want wall thickness .120 or larger. Using in tube bender, and the thicker wall won't distort as bad.
I can get 1.5"/.120 down here for $3 a foot. That may be as cheap as there, but would like to find out.

Offline ford381stroker

• Level 3
« Reply #10 on: 02/ 2/08 - 02:14PM »
anyone here in springfield have any 1.5" tubing laying around that they want to sell?  How about any scrap metal?

Looking for 3" x 3" 1/4" square tubing also for building my one links.  I went to wheelers today and they don't exactly have what I need.  Thanks.

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #11 on: 02/ 9/08 - 12:39AM »
you mite try fimco steel. for your 3x3 tubeing
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.