Author Topic: WHAT ARE THE BEST TIRES  (Read 4885 times)

Offline 4wheelin

• Level 2
WHAT ARE THE BEST TIRES
« on: 10/30/07 - 04:27PM »
I'M LOOKING TO GET SOME NEW TIRES WHEN I DO MY LIFT. I WAS LOOKING FOR SOME FEED BACK ON WHAT EVERYONE IS USING OR LIKES. I WILL BE DOING MOSTLY STREET DRIVING WITH WEEKEND OFF-ROAD TRIPS, BUT I ALSO WANT THEM TO LOOK GOOD. ANY INPUT WOULD HELP.

ALSO, ANYONE USED MICKEY THOMPSON'S BAJA CLAWS?

THANKS

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
Re: WHAT ARE THE BEST TIRES
« Reply #1 on: 10/30/07 - 04:37PM »
what is your budget? thats a big one and what size are you wanting? I love the krawlers so far but the new bfg mt looks just like them not sure how they are priced though
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline 4wheelin

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 10/30/07 - 04:39PM »
NO BUDGET YET. ALL THE TIRES ARE NOT TOO MUCH DIFFERENT IN PRICE.
33X12.50 R15

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #3 on: 10/30/07 - 04:45PM »
I've heard good things about the Mickey Thompson MTZ's or ATZ.

I think so far the only size BFG has in the new MT is the 42" that were on the UA JK.
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 10/30/07 - 04:48PM »
MTZ's are a good choice, look nice as well as last a long time. 

The new KM2's like Keith stated look neat but no one I know has a set yet to figure wear etc. 

Personally i'd avoid baja claws, they kinda suck in the rain and the sizes run small like a 35 is 33.5" tall (had 2 sets).
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline W

• Level 1
  • Lowriders are for those that can't get it up!
« Reply #5 on: 10/30/07 - 05:08PM »
For the occasional weekend wheeler and mostly street I've heard nothing but good from Truxus MTs, a lot of Jeepers run them on DD that are over on the MWJT boards...they have good on-road charecteristics when compared to most MTs and also have siping in the treads for increased handling in snow and rainy conditions.  They perform well on the rocks, mud, dirt, and have been known as a solid all around tire, and the price is below that of the rather expensive BFGs and under other MTs...the only downside, if you want to call it that, is that the tread depth starts off a little smaller than most MTs, forget the exact measurements, but for the affordable price you should be able to get about 30,000 or so depending on driving habits, conditions, etc.In which most wheelers/drivers look elsewhere for a tire or want to upgrade, or try something different.

Personally, I have Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs and love the aggressive look, wet road handling in about par with other MTs, they are great on the trail but have trouble clearing out when very muddy, awesome on rocks...but in the midwest you will mostly be dealing with trails, some mud, etc...all of which the Truxus is suitable for.

There's my .02 cents, hope it helped some. 
quot;Lowriders are for those who can't get it up!"<br />JEEP = expensive

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #6 on: 10/30/07 - 05:59PM »
Out of the tires I have had...

GoodYear MT/R
Interco SSR's
BFG Krawlers

The BFG Krawlers are BY FAR the best. It really depends on what you want out of the tire. Low road noise seems to be a big concern to alot of people. I personally like the road noise. The crawlers are louder on the road than the MT/R's and SSR's but are better on the trails than both.

General concensus on the BFG Mud Terrains from people I wheel with are that they are awesome tires as well.
« Last Edit: 10/30/07 - 06:05PM by whitehead »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline xjnation

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 10/30/07 - 07:25PM »
MT/Rs would be my choice.  Had 35s on the old XJ and the were great. 

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #8 on: 10/30/07 - 08:51PM »
i have the trXus MTs and i love them. they are very quiet on the road and do very good offroad as well. they also have a very cool looking sidewall :101:

and the price is nice too. i got all 4 31s mounted and balanced at Buds Tire and Wheel for just over $600
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline stripe

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #9 on: 10/30/07 - 09:23PM »
I had my buddy check on the new 42" BFG MT's about 2-3 weeks ago, his cost was around $500 a piece.
Education is what you get when you read the fine print.  Experience is what you get when you don't.

Offline W

• Level 1
  • Lowriders are for those that can't get it up!
« Reply #10 on: 10/30/07 - 10:50PM »
Just some more input, I paid about $170 a piece 3 or so years ago for my 33" MT/Rs....also as far as road noise, my MT/Rs are pretty loud, and I rotate them every 3000 miles, they howl a little louder as they wear down.

I've heard the BFG MTs get great tread wear, decent on road-noise, but always been pricey...not that it's an issue, if price isnt an obstacle...which is what most jeepers wish for, then they are a great tire with the price.

My next set of tires will be 35s, not sure what I'm going to go with...possibly another set of MT/Rs or the newer BFGs.
« Last Edit: 11/ 3/07 - 02:31PM by W »
quot;Lowriders are for those who can't get it up!"<br />JEEP = expensive

Offline xjnation

• Level 1
« Reply #11 on: 10/30/07 - 11:03PM »
I got my MT/Rs on ebay NEW for $720 shipped for 5.  Thats DIRT CHEAP.  They are around $190 each from tyres international for 35s.  Not too bad, i guess. 

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: 10/30/07 - 11:06PM »
sorry to hi-jack, but im lookin at gettin some bigger rubber myself. what are LTBs like on the road? wheelin? im wanting 34x10.50

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #13 on: 10/30/07 - 11:12PM »
LTB's wear like crap (7-10K) but they wheel great due to the soft compound they are made up of. 

I had a set on a Toyota that made 7,000 and they were just enough left to run as spares.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: 10/30/07 - 11:20PM »
7000 miles :o

ill pass! maybe i will just stick with the TSL radial 33x10.50