Author Topic: WHAT ARE THE BEST TIRES  (Read 4888 times)

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
Re: WHAT ARE THE BEST TIRES
« Reply #15 on: 10/31/07 - 12:28AM »
I went from crappy 30" Remingtons to 33" BFG a/t, to 33" BFG MTs, to 35" Krawlers in the past 3 years.  Krawlers are BY FAR the best trail tire yet.  They're fairly tame on road, too, though (& I balance them with soft air pellets only). 

Everyone on here is talking up the best TRAIL tires, but honestly, from what you said:

.....I WILL BE DOING MOSTLY STREET DRIVING WITH WEEKEND OFF-ROAD TRIPS.....

For the best bang for your buck ($130-$160 each & 30-40k life span) and great wet, rain, snow, dry pavement, with occasional weekend trips, it's very tough to beat the BFG All Terrain t/a.  I know I'm going to take crap for saying that, but if your DD is a part time trail rig, and you don't want to own 2 sets of tires, and you run kids to the school & yourself & your family to the store, work, etc. you know i am right.   Also, if national forests, etc.  are the extent of your trails, you'll be grateful for them to discuss the trip on the drive home.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #16 on: 10/31/07 - 12:31AM »
I like how everyone says Krawlers that only come in 35+ and he wants 33s.

BFG makes a good all around tire in either AT or MT.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #17 on: 10/31/07 - 12:34AM »
Because i finally broke over and got some Krawlers after shaking my gold tooth loose from trying some swamper on the street, LOL
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #18 on: 10/31/07 - 01:56AM »
I got my MT/Rs on ebay NEW for $720 shipped for 5.  Thats DIRT CHEAP.  They are around $190 each from tyres international for 35s.  Not too bad, i guess. 

That's awesome and MTR's are good tires. Re-reading through all this I kinda came off in my post that I didn't care for them or the SSR's, when in fact I did like both... I just like the Krawlers best of all of them, but mostly for wheeling. I probably would go with MTR's if I had no plans to wheel that much. I had 22,000 miles on the set I took off of my Jeep and they could have took another 10,000 easy. The SSR's I had I put 14,000 miles on... and maybe could have gotten another 8,000 out of them. My Krawlers right now have just over 8,000 on them and seem to be holding up okay. I expect to get 25,000 out of them.  Hope that helps anyone reading.  For long-life the Goodyear MTR's are gonna be the tire to get out the ones I've mentioned.
« Last Edit: 10/31/07 - 01:58AM by whitehead »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #19 on: 10/31/07 - 12:09PM »
I like how everyone says Krawlers that only come in 35+ and he wants 33s.

BFG makes a good all around tire in either AT or MT.

well I know Nick and my bet is that he wants 35's :)
 I think the mtz would be a good choice as well have not run them but here good things. xterains was what I had on the dodge and I was suprised at how good they were on the road. I think thats what upandover is running now, hes pretty happy with them
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #20 on: 10/31/07 - 11:48PM »
Goodyear MTR's are a good all round tire Jarod had a set on his jeep about 2.5 years then I ran them on my grand about 2 years more
they work good on the trails and street. plus we got about 40000 miles out of them.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline ROCKY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #21 on: 11/ 1/07 - 04:25PM »
Goodyear MTR's are a good all round tire Jarod had a set on his jeep about 2.5 years then I ran them on my grand about 2 years more
they work good on the trails and street. plus we got about 40000 miles out of them.

Yep, MTR's are about the best Street/Trail/Rock tire you can get. Plus there not priced bad at all.

Offline stripe

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #22 on: 11/ 1/07 - 09:30PM »
I've ran 33" & 35" Kumho Mud Terrains and 37" MTR's.  Both tires were excellent on the road and I got really good mileage out of both.  The MTR's were great in the rocks, although I didn't care for them in the mud.  The Kumho's were better in the mud (they're a mud tire) and they performed good off-road for the money.  I've got 36" Bias-Ply Irok's now and I like them as well.  Great tire for the money, excellent off-road, not too loud on the highway, but absolutely suck in the ice and the rain.  I plan on moving up to a bigger tire soon, and will either stay with the Irok's or go with the Krawler's since everyone loves I thought I would try 'em.
Education is what you get when you read the fine print.  Experience is what you get when you don't.

Offline tcrouth

• Level 1
« Reply #23 on: 11/ 2/07 - 11:38AM »
have u ever looked at the pit bull's they have few new sizes and good for u they seam to run small 35 is really like a 34... and with being a member of the jeep club u and all member can receive a discount on all parts..

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #24 on: 11/ 2/07 - 12:19PM »
have u ever looked at the pit bull's they have few new sizes and good for u they seam to run small 35 is really like a 34... and with being a member of the jeep club u and all member can receive a discount on all parts..

At 4 Wheelers Supply - http://4WS.COM in case anyone is wondering.  For directions visit our Maps pages. http://ozarksjeepthing.com/m/vendors

EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline 4wheelin

• Level 2
« Reply #25 on: 11/ 2/07 - 06:59PM »
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS! :77:

I WENT WITH THE BFG M/TS IN A 33X12.50 R15 (THE OLD STYLE)
ITS NICE TO HEAR HOW DIFFERENT TIRES WORK ON AND OFF ROAD.

THANKS, NICK

Offline W

• Level 1
  • Lowriders are for those that can't get it up!
« Reply #26 on: 11/ 3/07 - 02:39PM »
You should be happy with the M/Ts...anyways I had a question I thought I would pose, for around the 33" mud tire category, how many jeepers in the club are running the Interco Truxus MTs?  I ask this b/c they are by far, hands down, the most popular tire that jeepers over on MWJT run.  Also, the jeepers only running 33s for the most part use there Jeep also as a DD, and the Truxus have served as a great all around tire from reviews.
quot;Lowriders are for those who can't get it up!"<br />JEEP = expensive

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #27 on: 11/ 4/07 - 12:15AM »
I've had a set, but on fullsize chevy.  Best snow and ice tire i've ever had but they didn't last. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline W

• Level 1
  • Lowriders are for those that can't get it up!
« Reply #28 on: 11/ 4/07 - 01:15AM »
yea the softer compound doesn't hold up as well on a full-size heavier vehicle than a Jeep, also the tread depth starts out a little smaller....BFGs and the harder compound rubber get good mileage on plenty of applications, whenever I get my truck, I'll be running BFG ATs most likely.
quot;Lowriders are for those who can't get it up!"<br />JEEP = expensive

Offline Bradman

• Level 4
  • II've got a buzz and a woody, and I'm ready to go!
« Reply #29 on: 11/ 4/07 - 10:00AM »
My $.02 ia you can't beat the BFG M/T's.  The new ones look awsome.

I have had 2 sets, and I love em both on and off road.  They ride great on the road, are quiet, and where well.  Off road, the gripe everything fantasticly.  Pay the money, and get quallity.
1999 TJ  2.5 inch Rancho Rockrawler lift  33inch BFG's  Loc-Rites front and rear!<br /><br />Ranch Rocker!<br />http://smorr.net/images/ranch_rockers_avatar50.png