Author Topic: Not new to Off-Roading.... New to Jeep!  (Read 965 times)

Offline a0upperdown

• Level 1
Not new to Off-Roading.... New to Jeep!
« on: 12/ 5/07 - 05:29AM »
Hello everyone!
I've been in the world of off-roading now for about six years. I've been around the people and read all the ORA type magazines cover to cover once or twice an issue for years. So by now I could probably rattle on and on about 4x4's just like most of you.

Up to now I've always just been into Trucks and 4 Wheelers. But now that I've moved away my father wanted a project for us to work on to keep close. We looked at other Trucks and Bronco/Jeep type vehicles but nothing seemed to be really what we wanted. Always seems to be too much rust or to much money. We drive by Jeeps and go to other 4x4 meetups all the time. He loves the old Bronco's and Willies. When he askes me questions about rigs he just gets more confused than before. He knows that the CJ's and Willies are the older ones and that in my oppinion TJ's suck. But eveything else seems to leave him baffled.

This Thanksgiving I was back home when my cousin?s husband was in town. He?s a car salesman, and had just come back from an auction. When I get there I see this YJ on his trailer, which is not really a surprise because he has a soft spot for older Jeeps. So I walk inside like on any other day that he has a Jeep and get my dad to come out and look at it with me. Upon inspection it?s a ?94 YJ, 5 speed, with one brute of a 4 banger under to hood. 4? BDS Lift, 3? Shackles, and 1? Body Lift. Not the exact combo that I would have picked but it?ll do for a YJ. Their tough as nails! 33? BFG Muds (my favorite tire) on 15? bead locks. ?This thing it tight? I tell him. Diamond plate trail corners, new white paint, LED brake lights, day lighters on the windshield hinges, the list goes on. About this time my cuz walks out. We started talking about it and he?s just like my dad, doesn?t know much. He told me that he paid $2,800 for it. His plans were to turn it into a show Jeep, and try to sell it for about 9g! What a waste right? Who wants to look at a clean Jeep. Well to make a long story short. I talked him into letting me drive it and that was that. The Jeep is now setting in my shop and I?m up at school (UCM) reading the Chiltions guide. $2800 in the hole, and happy about it.

Changes it?s going through now?
Full roll cage (My father doesn?t trust the windshield)
Gearbox to replace non-existant backseat
Onboard air
Shifter linkage tinkering
T-case shifter extension.
New gauges
New harnesses

I plan on a few major changes next summer or more likely next winter?
Ford 300 i6     BUILT AND NASTY
Danna 44?s      also BUILT AND NASTY
Poison Spider Flatty Fenders

^ 19mm Socket

^ My favorite ton of metal.

FORD <3's JEEP<br />JEEP <3's FORD

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
Re: Not new to Off-Roading.... New to Jeep!
« Reply #1 on: 12/ 5/07 - 09:51AM »
+5 points for getting a Jeep.

-200 for referring to it as "tight"

Welcome to not having any money and complaining about the 4 cylinder.
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline JacksFork

• SMORR
  • Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #2 on: 12/ 5/07 - 04:55PM »
So when you coming to try it out  :255_driving:

Brandon
SMORR
www.smorr.net
SOUTHERN MISSOURI OFF ROAD RANCH
http://www.smorr.net

CHECK OUT OUR FACEBOOK FAN PAGE!!
http://smorr.net/facebook

Offline a0upperdown

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 12/ 5/07 - 05:21PM »
Hopefully in the spring. I got some buddies that come out alot. I've always wanted to come but I never wanted to take the pick up, seein as in it's my daily driver. I'm taking the jeep to chadwick over spring break to work out all the bugs. But I'd like to come out shortly after.

I'd really like to help with the trail cleanup days as well. I've heard there alot of fun.
FORD <3's JEEP<br />JEEP <3's FORD