Author Topic: YJ Dovetail  (Read 32561 times)

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
Re: YJ Dovetail
« Reply #60 on: 04/13/09 - 02:04AM »
SO what tires are you gunna end up running?
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #61 on: 04/13/09 - 02:10AM »
I'd really like a set of new pitbulls, but the height I want is a bit wide for my wheels... so jury is still out on that one. 

If I don't go that route it's whatever I can find used in the 38-40" category.  Then I'll continue to add to this thread as I lengthen the WB and go smallblock next winter.

Right now I'm just shooting to have it back on the stree/trail by the Bison Ranch run in May.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #62 on: 04/19/09 - 04:19AM »
60 put back together using LOTS of new parts:

Mocked up under the YJ. 

To Do List:

Bleed Brakes, Adjust Steering, install shocks, shorten front driveshaft, ubolts/spring plates.

Thanks to BLOVE & JEEPOLANTERN for help this evening.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #63 on: 04/19/09 - 12:15PM »
Any special parts on the 60?  Are those knuckles aftermarket or did you paint them?  Good job on the progress.

Can you please get a real camera the camera phone pictures suck.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #64 on: 04/19/09 - 01:22PM »
I do have a nice digi cam.  The problem is I never remember to take it out there with me.  One of the downsides of working 15 miles from your house.

60 has lots of non stock parts, knuckles aren't one of them (clint painted them).  Has Detroit, Superior Alloy Inner Shafts, spicer joints, Mile Marker Stainless lockouts, SOLID cover,and Mad4WD Steering Arms.

You get your 44 built yet? 
« Last Edit: 04/19/09 - 03:12PM by YJ_Aaron »

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #65 on: 04/19/09 - 01:52PM »
You get your 44 built yet? 

I knew that was coming.  I'm working on making the adjustable control arms so I can get pinion and castor angle dialed in when it goes in.  I might actually get something done today.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #66 on: 04/19/09 - 02:29PM »
Well get on it buddy! 

I'll update later today with camera pics.  I think I'm going to head back out and clean up the shop.

Offline map93heep

• Level 3
« Reply #67 on: 04/19/09 - 02:59PM »
glad to see your jeep coming together

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #68 on: 04/19/09 - 08:13PM »
In true Jeeper fashion the batteries died before I could get new pics!

I did some looking and am trying to decide what my next move is, Brad and I were discussing this earlier.  I have 2 options.

1. Leave the stock YJ springs in SOA form- shorten front shaft, move shocks, etc.

2. Add Waggy springs to the front raising my jeep 2" and gaining 2" of WB, and add 2" YJ springs in the rear to level it out.  Thereby creating more clearance, and setting it up for larger tires in the future.  Downside is it will raise my Center of Mass.

Offline grizzly

• Level 1
« Reply #69 on: 04/19/09 - 09:24PM »
Lower you seat! LOL

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #70 on: 04/19/09 - 10:23PM »
I'm sure you added some unsprung weight with that 60, going to bigger tires will add some more.  I would just go with the taller springs now.  Unless your driveshaft needs repair, then go that route, wasn't it bent?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #71 on: 04/19/09 - 10:30PM »
Driveshaft is fixed and is now heavy wall tubing. 

Offline Needs-A-Lift

• Club Members
  • Level 1
« Reply #72 on: 04/20/09 - 11:55PM »
I will make sure I bring my camera next time we are out, so I can get some good pics of your 60!!
Jennifer Ackerman

Offline JEEPOLANTERN

• Club Members
  • Level 2
« Reply #73 on: 04/21/09 - 12:15AM »
Hey but the knuckles look aftermarket, must be the high quality paint job!
Crowded elevator smell different to midget....

Offline farmboy

• Level 3
« Reply #74 on: 04/22/09 - 11:33AM »
I got ten bucks that says he changes it back out for a 44 in year... any takers??
Be quick to listen, slow to speek and slow to anger!!