Author Topic: My Roll Cage  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Fred

• Level 2
My Roll Cage
« on: 03/17/08 - 01:08PM »
This is a straight on rear shot From here you can see the basic cage design that I got from Brent (at Trailworks in Nashville, TN). I got it with the 2 front straight bars and no rear. You can see here also the grab handle we added in the center and the 3 extra bars we added in the rear

these second two kida highlight the same things as the first. I also ordered his kit with no lower windshield spreader because I didn't want a full size bar there in my view. We added a much thinner DOM bar in it's place.

These two PIX are from each side and what we did was relocate the seatbelts (I am going to a 3" lap belt only for the front) and added hip spreaders. Yes this limits my ability to remove this cage without taking tha dash apart but Se La Ve......

And this is just a front shot where you can't see much

I will innerate...YES this ties into the existing rear cage but it is very reinforced. as of right now the only part tied to the frame is the front 2 legs but while I am gone I am haveing the middle and rear frame tied also. I have 2 pair of Grab handles on order and they will be put on soon. I am VERY pleased with this new set up and I am confident enough so far to trust my life with it.

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
Re: My Roll Cage
« Reply #1 on: 03/21/08 - 09:39PM »
nice!!!! looks good. how are you going to tie it in to the frame?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 03/22/08 - 05:46AM »
The front and rear is simple Tube bent to the frame with a 4x4 plate on each end. Weld the end at the frame to the frame bolt the other end through the body to a matching plate on the other side.

Thank's I bought the cage and deviated it from it's original design and I am happy with how it turned out

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 03/22/08 - 09:15AM »
Looks good.... I like seeing TJ cages that go through the dash for strength. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: 03/29/08 - 06:00AM »
I looked at other options and came to the conclusion there really ARE NO OTHER OPTIONS. in front of the dash really impeades the cabin, and the dash ties that go down and bolt to the floor just didn't do it for me. For me going from nice 1.75 Tube to flat stock loses all it's integrity. I have had this jeep on its sides a few times and the cage held me from going over or causeing massive damages. I have some 90* racecar gussets I am putting in the corners and the grab handles are at home waiting for me.