Author Topic: 98 tj v8 swap  (Read 1934 times)

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!
98 tj v8 swap
« on: 04/ 2/08 - 02:09PM »
This one was fun

this was the request. I want a v8 in my daily driven jeep for as cheap as possible. The owner told me he was looking at AA's adapter to go from a chevy v8 to jeep 5 speed and the total for everything to adapt the motor was in the neighborhood of 1500.00 for the adapters.

I asked the owner if he thought that was cheap. His reply was heck no, but no one else will talk to me unless im going to spend a few thousand dollars with them. The owner doesnt have the fab skills required to do the swap, but had enough knowledge that if someone did the hard parts, he could do the finish wiring and fuel and such.

I took on this challenge and went to see how inexpensively i could do this project.

here is a list of parts that were used

92 chevy s10 5 speed w/ transfercase
350 chevy motor out of a 95 chevy truck
stock driveshafts
custom motor mounts
custom tranny mount w/ stock crossmember (unmolested)
dual exhaust
aluminum radiator
electric fan
stock style hydraulic clutch

i fabbed the motor mounts to set the motor in nice and high. the height was used to give more clearance under the rig. motor and trans were set in so that the stock driveshafts and angles would be used. this allows for the owner to do upgrades to the suspension without worrying about getting stuff modified to fit. he can use any jeep replacement suspension lift kits and so forth.

he wanted to maintain a 5 speed tranny and have a stock appearance. he also like some bling chrome on his ride. he is very much into cleaning it alot.

i took his budget and tried to get him as much possiblr for his money. he came to me with a conversion radiator price and i beat that with one of the aluminum race radiators i always order. he had his figures out (including labor) and i got my figures out and i was able to save him 2,000 dollars on this project.

he is super happy with the results. no more 4 cyl and struggling on the hwy. no you just rest your foot on the accelerator pedal and cruise at 75 mph. we figured his fuel mileage and originally he got 10-12 mpg and now "IF" he stays out of the 4 barrel, he gets 19-20 mpg. these were figured from emptying the tank fully and adding 3 gallons of fuel and running it till it completely ran out of fuel.

here are some pics of the finished job.

« Last Edit: 04/ 2/08 - 02:11PM by junkyard »
for rock crawling info and events   go to   www.rockcrawlinginfo.com

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: 98 tj v8 swap
« Reply #1 on: 04/ 2/08 - 02:12PM »
looks cool sitting in there... nice welds.  8)
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: 04/ 2/08 - 02:15PM »
thanks

this is one fast tj now.

he called me up and bought another driveshaft as he has busted his first one.

he will have me do a roll cage and tube fenders this summer, then next winter do a custom long arm suspension with 6 inch lift incorporated. since he saved almost 2k, he has decided he wants to spend that with me and get more stuff done.

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
« Reply #3 on: 04/ 2/08 - 11:44PM »
if i hadnt spent so much with you already, i have you do that to dads jeep....thats pretty sick...but why did he go w/ a carb.
I like jeeps!!!

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: 04/ 3/08 - 03:19PM »
this jeep is a daily driver for now. his plans are to go FI later. I showed him some staged plans that would allow him to enjoy his rig at each stage of the game. it was only down for a little bit, and each upgrade from now on out will only take a weekend or so.

this allows for him to still drive it and enjoy it till he can afford the next stage. almost like what i am doing with your jeep, but yours is getting huge stages done at once to get you maximum everything in your jeep.

Offline mike4089

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 04/ 8/08 - 10:01PM »
what is your business????  or do you just work out of your house???

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: 04/ 8/08 - 10:57PM »
my business is Ozark Offroad Fabrication

I am stuck to working in my garage for now due to the title for my building being screwed up and now tied up in court.  if it doesnt get cleared up soon, ill just but a few acres and put up a new building. if you saw the current building im trying to finalize and knew how little i was paying for it and its location, you would agree to wait as long as i have.

I can still turn out awsome quality work, it just takes longer since i cannot put 4 rigs in the shop like I used to be able to.

when i get the new shop I can fit 30 or 40 rigs in it.

Offline mike4089

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: 04/ 9/08 - 08:26AM »
i talked to you on the phone not to long ago about tube fenders and a sport cage for my cj...i dont know if you remember or not??  i was gonna call you in a couple weeks to see if i could bring my jeep up there to have the work done....ive been busy and had no time to do anything....

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: 04/ 9/08 - 12:58PM »
I do remember you calling. I have been slammed with work which is good. alot of projects are coming in that are small. I only have a couple large (full builds) going on

when you are ready just let me know

Offline mike4089

• Level 2
« Reply #9 on: 04/ 9/08 - 06:43PM »
im leaving for st. louis at the end of the month so it will be right after that   look forward to talking to you