Author Topic: hood vents  (Read 1290 times)

Offline map93heep

• Level 3
hood vents
« on: 04/27/08 - 08:28PM »
To help control any chances of over heating that XJs are known for, I decided to look into alternative cooling options that weren't too expensive. I had already put in a high flow thermostat, new hoses, radiator, and waterpump. Still on hot days all you would hear is the electric fan kick on and off. I had read that hood vents were a good inexpensive option. They would reduce the temp under the hood 5 to 15 degrees from idle to slow crawling speed. The article as claimed a 5 to 10 degree difference on temp gauge. The article I read had used hood vents of a turbo Chrysler Lebaron. I start looking for some on Ebay. I found a set and seen them sell for a 100.00 bucks, I started thinking this option maybe too expensive. I decided to call the local junkyards to see if they had any. Luckily one did and 15 bucks later I had a pair of vents. Got them home, cleaned them up and painted them. I took some measurements off the vents and laid them out on the hood. I took the angle grinder and cut 2 big holes in a perfectly good hood. After cleaning up the edges, I dropped the vents in. Then I cut some pieces angle iron to use as holders like the article suggested. I haven't had the jeep out on the trail yet to see if the vents help or not. I have notice it not running as hot in the stop and go traffic in town.xj hood vents 012xj hood vents 011xj hood vents 010xj hood vents 009 

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: hood vents
« Reply #1 on: 04/27/08 - 09:23PM »
looks good Matt.   8)
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #2 on: 04/28/08 - 12:05AM »
Oh yeah i like them, Very Nice :D
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 04/28/08 - 12:16AM »
Nice mod man.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #4 on: 04/28/08 - 01:47AM »
Quote from: map93heep
I took the angle grinder and cut 2 big holes in a perfectly good hood.

It is fun isn't it!  I love cutting them up.  LOL
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.