Author Topic: A different League  (Read 1248 times)

Offline TJ Ken

• Level 2
A different League
« on: 05/ 1/08 - 11:33PM »
We had a customer come in and see some of the sheetmetal work we've done up here.

So, one thing led to another & he asked us to skin out his drag car.

Sure thing...shouldn't be any different...right?

Not exactly... I guess drag cars need to have really tight seams to keep the smoke out from the burn outs.

After we got all the seams pretty tight, the owner is still going to go back with silicone on them.  He said smoke will still find a way in a little.

There will be a '56 Chevy Fiberglass body going on the car.  With the body on the car, it looks wicked sitting about 2 or 3" off the ground!  Wish I had pics of that.

Pics:

He wanted a big transmission tunnel so he could get his hand in between the transmission and the tunnel.  Looks big enough for a Powerglide to me!

King's Off Road Enterprise LLC.<br />Off Road Accessories & Custom Components<br /><br />Toll Free - 866-699-8018<br />Local - 918-248-1034<br />www.kore4x4customs.com

Offline jeephacker

Re: A different League
« Reply #1 on: 05/ 4/08 - 03:41PM »
Thats nice work. Do you use a press brake or a hand brake? how thick is the mat'l?

Offline TJ Ken

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 05/ 5/08 - 12:55PM »
Thats nice work. Do you use a press brake or a hand brake? how thick is the mat'l?

Thanks.

We have both, but on this particular project we only used the small 48" sheetmetal box & pan brake.

On some projects, we'll have to put small dies into the 6' press brake & use it.  That's just for some tough bend sequences though.

The material used on this car :
.065" 3003 Aluminum everywhere except under the drivers feet and the firewall.

Under the drivers feet & the firewall, we used .100" 3003 Aluminum.
King's Off Road Enterprise LLC.<br />Off Road Accessories & Custom Components<br /><br />Toll Free - 866-699-8018<br />Local - 918-248-1034<br />www.kore4x4customs.com

Offline BigFord74

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: 05/ 5/08 - 05:45PM »
Can't wait to see pic's of the body. I have a '56 Bel Air 2dr hrdtop.
url=http://www.ozarkoffroadfab.com/]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8455/logoleftrs8.gif