Author Topic: remedy for floating jeep?  (Read 931 times)

Offline 97_TJ

• Level 1
remedy for floating jeep?
« on: 10/28/08 - 11:30AM »
If i'm ever followed by a hwy patrol then i'm gonna be screwed. When driving over 60 on the hwy my jeep floats from side to side pretty bad. I didn't know what i could do to address this if anything? Any ideas to making her more stable, or is it just the nature of the beast?

Offline Twizted

• Level 1
Re: remedy for floating jeep?
« Reply #1 on: 10/28/08 - 02:05PM »
 Well recently I have been having issues becuase of the wind. It's caused me to worry alittle when I almost drift into another lane. I also remember it being worse when I used to run a hardtop. Now I have a halftop so less wind resistance but still an issue. It has been windy recently but if you don't think that's the cause you may want to check for slop in your steering links, tie rod ends, ball joints, and track bars. At speed a worn shock could cause issues as well.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: remedy for floating jeep?
« Reply #2 on: 10/28/08 - 02:30PM »
With a 5 link suspension any oddity will cause what your feeling.  I'd have a good 4 wheel alignment done.  Another common issue on TJ's is slop to develop in the steering box itself, that coupled with what was listed above can make your jeep float. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato