Author Topic: Ford Diesel this and that  (Read 6593 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Ford Diesel this and that
« on: 02/ 2/09 - 01:00AM »
Is there a difference between a 8-Cylinder 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel and an 8-Cylinder Turbo Diesel? I've been looking at ads and some are just worded different than others... wondering for 2000-2002 Fords is there more than one option for a diesel motor? Or is a Turbo Diesel actually the same as a Powerstroke Diesel?  thanks in advance.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
Re: Ford Diesel this and that
« Reply #1 on: 02/ 2/09 - 01:11AM »
same thing
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 02/ 2/09 - 01:17AM »
95 up will be a POWERSTROKE diesel, there were 7.3 "turbo diesels" and non-turbo diesels before that.  However in those years they are all strokes. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #3 on: 02/ 2/09 - 01:49AM »
alright, that clears things up for me some.. thanks guys.

Been doing alot of research and the conclusion I've come to so far is this:
The V10; great power, horrible mileage; possible spark plug blowage;
The 5.4; reliable, long lasting motor, comparable to my 351 that I have now, but not really enough power to sport in a Super Duty.. though I am tempted to go with this motor.
The 7.3 Turbo Diesel; - reliable, lots of power, long lasting, better mileage; higher maintenance costs, did I say power?

EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 02/ 2/09 - 01:51AM »
5.4 doesn't have the low end your windsor does.  Go drive a superduty if u can find one with a 5.4.  They are the 4 cylinder TJ of the towing world. 

V10 or 7.3, 7.3 costs more, but most find is well worth it.  Add a 75HP chip to it and never look back.  I would recommend a manual!
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #5 on: 02/ 2/09 - 02:03AM »
I prefer a manual that what I'm shooting for, but if run across a good deal and it's an auto.. I'll probably go for it.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #6 on: 02/ 2/09 - 02:21AM »
If you get an auto make sure you install a trans temp gauge, even if you don't do boost and pyro.  A good replacement diesel trans is more than a lot of people paid for their trucks.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #7 on: 02/ 2/09 - 12:20PM »
will do, thanks Aaron, another benefit is that Diesels are so loud (clacky) and smell so bad, that if you pass gas no one will know you did it.

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #8 on: 02/ 2/09 - 04:25PM »
Jimmy, my 'WT' (white truck, white trash, whatever camper) has Ford's 5.4 in it.  It's an '02 16' box van, with most of my retrofit already in the back.  No, it's not a powerful as a locomotive, but I pulled my 'new' trailer with my unlimited on it to Disney with no problems.  Hauling all of that plus at least one utility ATV to Moab will be the real test.  Everyone I've talked to about this engine agrees: It'll run forever, but could use more power.  I'll take the trade-off.
Mo Printer

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #9 on: 02/ 2/09 - 09:32PM »
my dad had an 08 f-350 with the 5.4 for a short time. we pulled my jeep across town on Ricks trailer and it was a dog. the milage dropped below 10 on the highway. he has also owned the v-10 and it had zero issues with pulling his boat to the lake for years. he put 180'xxx miles on that truck and never had a single motor issue. he now has a Duramax with the Allison auto. and he says we wont have anything other than that from now on.
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #10 on: 02/ 2/09 - 09:34PM »
It'll run forever, but could use more power.  I'll take the trade-off.

I just got done driving a 7.3 Turbo Diesel, first time I ever drove one... my eyes hvae been opened. The trade off AIN'T worth it!! GO Diesel!!

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #11 on: 02/ 3/09 - 01:08AM »
I just got done driving a 7.3 Turbo Diesel, first time I ever drove one... my eyes hvae been opened. The trade off AIN'T worth it!! GO Diesel!!

lol might just have to be my new sig 
now go drive a cummins  :deadhorse:
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #12 on: 02/ 3/09 - 01:36AM »
Been telling him the same thing Roger.  I've owned both and driven a bunch of each and my next diesel will be a 6cyl cummins.

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #13 on: 02/ 3/09 - 10:54AM »
Been telling him the same thing Roger.  I've owned both and driven a bunch of each and my next diesel will be a 6cyl cummins.
As opposed to the optional 8cyl? :78:

We had one of the 12V Cummins in a '96 and it did alright, I remember thinking it pulled great compared to anything else we had.  Then we got one of the 24V when they came out.  Talk about a difference, that thing was a hot rod compared to the 12V.  It was hard to keep it on the road, of course when we first got it, it was a C&C and we lived on dirt roads, so that contributed to it wanting to get out from under you.  I haven't driven one since then, but I'm sure they're better yet.

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #14 on: 02/ 3/09 - 01:41PM »
As opposed to the optional 8cyl? :78:

We had one of the 12V Cummins in a '96 and it did alright, I remember thinking it pulled great compared to anything else we had.  Then we got one of the 24V when they came out.  Talk about a difference, that thing was a hot rod compared to the 12V.  It was hard to keep it on the road, of course when we first got it, it was a C&C and we lived on dirt roads, so that contributed to it wanting to get out from under you.  I haven't driven one since then, but I'm sure they're better yet.

Yes, they are.  Ask Aaron about the difference stock.  I don't have a programmer on my truck and I have to row gears, but the truck run's great.  Pulls like there is no tommorrow!  I can't wait to get it out from under the engine warranty so that I actually make some power.  I can hang with Tom and Larry (they have 24v 2nd's with programmer's) but they have the better gearing so they get sweeter mileage.

Still gets high teens towing at 70, just not on winter fuel.

When I get old I night look at the Duramax with the Allison, but rowing gears doesn't bother me right now.  :P
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.