Author Topic: Project Ruby Lee 2  (Read 38039 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Project Ruby Lee 2
« on: 08/ 9/09 - 09:51PM »
Most everyone knows by now that Aaron and I have swapped Jeeps. This thread will be the continuation of the YJ since I now have it in custody.

So far I have added some waggy springs to the rear; which added 2 inches to my wheelbase... I took it out for a shakedown run this weekend at SMORR.

First of all I'd like to say Aaron put together a set of axles and did a great job on the spring-over, this jeep flexes great! I was hoping not to rub too much but as you can see from these pics I did. So I'll be doing some fender trimming this week and will post up pics after I am done.

the fender got pushed out pretty good.

Second, this baby was in bad need of some ... Rocker Guards

Always wanted to make a set myself, so I decided to give it a try. I called up Ozark Mountain Steel and ordered a 10' long piece of 12" wide 3/16; I had them form it into 6x6 angle with a press brake. If your going to build rockers; you don't want to use regular angle; unless you don't care about them fitting snug.

I fitted the steel up against the Jeep and marked my cut for the front. This pic is after I did that but you get the jest.

I marked the front inside and out

Ready to cut

The front after cutting; turned out pretty good

The rear was a little off; so I marked it and ground it down to match the curve.

After grinding it down

With the front and back all matched up and looking good, I secured the rocker with clamps and a hi-lift and marked my outside holes.

Outer hardware loosely installed, so that I could drill down through the tub and mark the bottom for the 3 center studs wrapped with 1' pipe that would support the bottom.

I cut the front and rear mounting brackets out of the left over material from trimming to fit; I then welded them to the main piece.

Here is a shot of the rear mount... rockers are already done, got ahead of myself and forgot to take pictures.

The front mount, the tubefender is a little crooked, but I'll fix that at a later time.

The view from underneath. There are 1/2 studs that I tack welded to the upperside, which are wrapped with 1" pipe for spacers; this kept the bottom nice and smooth and ready for sliding on the rocks if needed.

2 of the studs (3 total) from the top; still need to trim them down

Black primered and ready for first coat of paint. You can see a couple of the spacers that I cut to put around the bottom studs.

Side shot of the finished (for now) rockers.

I plan to add side steps on also; just didn't have time and want to at least get to this point with them before the shakedown run. All in all; I'm PROUD of how good these rockers turned out, this has been my first little fab project and I'm now stoked to do something else.  stay tuned.

COST:
Steel $72
Hardware $40

« Last Edit: 01/26/10 - 02:38PM by LoneWolf »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: YJ Dovetail... continued.
« Reply #1 on: 08/10/09 - 12:23AM »
Not bad.  I'll have to start a thread also... gotta come up with name I guess.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #2 on: 08/10/09 - 12:57AM »
thanks Aaron... I sent you a text with a colorful suggestion for a name.  :P
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #3 on: 08/10/09 - 03:40AM »
Looks good jimmy. Thanks for letting me ride around in the back seat for a bit, nice sliders!
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline mike4089

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: 08/11/09 - 10:31PM »
so what springs did aaron use when he did the spring over?  im going to be doing the spring over in my cj within the next couple months and would like to be able to fit 39.5's on it also.....did you put the waggy springs in the front?  my plan is to use xj springs in the rear to

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #5 on: 08/11/09 - 11:57PM »
I don't know what brand/type of springs he originally used. I put waggy springs on the rear; which gave me 2inches of additional wheelbase.

Tonight I got the fenders trimmed up and replaced a power steering pump that went out on the shakedown run (thanks for the pump Aaron)

Plenty of room for flex now and for setting the rear back another inch or two.

Tomorrow night I'm going to start chopping up the cage and reworking it, plus will be adding seat&harness bars. Will post pics of that as I make progress.

Offline mike4089

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 08/12/09 - 12:30AM »
you should look into XJ springs in the rear....they should give it about 6 inches of stretch, which is what i plan on doing....you have to move the shakle hangers back to the out side of the rear bumper but its an easy to do

I also noticed you dont have a rear seat...if you want one i have one for sale...its black with laredo stripes but you can cover or vinly die it....its in wicked good shape
« Last Edit: 08/12/09 - 12:33AM by mike4089 »

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #7 on: 08/12/09 - 12:51AM »
There is a rear seat.

The point of the waggys' is they fit in the stock hangar locations.  The SOA in front is stock YJ springs which is what was in the rear.

With the XJ you have to do a genright tank or a fuel cell also.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline calebsxj

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 08/12/09 - 12:53AM »
Nice cutting Jimmy!  Lots of room now compared to before.  8)

Offline mike4089

• Level 2
« Reply #9 on: 08/12/09 - 12:54AM »
yeah i forgot about the fuel cell...ok thats good to know that you used used stock YJ springs...that what i planned on using also for my cj

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #10 on: 08/12/09 - 01:06AM »
you should look into XJ springs in the rear....they should give it about 6 inches of stretch, which is what i plan on doing....you have to move the shakle hangers back to the out side of the rear bumper but its an easy to do

I want to keep my hangers on the frame... and only need 4 more inches to get to 100" wheelbase... don't want anything longer than that.

Nice cutting Jimmy!  Lots of room now compared to before.  8)

Thanks Caleb! I still need to grind down a couple spots... but it's real close.

Offline FlameRed08

• Level 3
« Reply #11 on: 08/13/09 - 08:40PM »
Good work Jimmy. Looking forward to seeing it offroad with all the new mods.
2008 JK Unlimited X, Flame Red, 4" Superlift, Shrockworks Rails, Elements doors, etc.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #12 on: 08/15/09 - 02:38AM »
Was doing some cutting tonight on the roll cage and had a cutoff wheel disintegrate on me... got me good...

I took 3 deep tissue stitches and 7 topside stitches to close it up... and if that wasn't bad enough I had to get a tetnus shot on top of it all. 

Due to the graphic nature of these images, I used thumbnails. click to enlarge. :P

$%#^@(@!!

all fixed up

Offline FlameRed08

• Level 3
« Reply #13 on: 08/15/09 - 02:41AM »
"'tis merely a flesh wound"

2008 JK Unlimited X, Flame Red, 4" Superlift, Shrockworks Rails, Elements doors, etc.

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #14 on: 08/15/09 - 01:02PM »
Jimmy you trying to put a little of yourself into your jeep.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.