Author Topic: Project Ruby Lee 2  (Read 38086 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: CJ Dovetail... continued.
« Reply #105 on: 01/20/10 - 12:19AM »
Here's one side welded and ground. I welded a bit, let it cool, then weld some more to keep it from warping, instead of just welding one long pass.

I couldn't cut that dang tail light out smooth and straight to save my life with my orbital and I don't know anyone who can cut a straight line with a cut off wheel. So I had to figure something else out to make them look good. I opened it up a bit more and tacked in a strip of 14 gauge then ground it down flush. I'll fill in any gaps with some filler and sand smooth.

I'm going bend up the flares this weekend out of 1.5dom, skin them with 14guage, hope to finish this one (drivers side) next week and move on the passenger side.
« Last Edit: 01/20/10 - 12:24AM by LoneWolf »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #106 on: 01/20/10 - 12:37AM »
Use A guide plate
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #107 on: 01/20/10 - 12:42AM »
still wouldn't be good enough and would take longer to make the guide plate straight and smooth than doing what I did. I considered it.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #108 on: 01/20/10 - 10:10AM »
Does orbital saw = jig saw?

I probably would have drawn the lines for the tail light and cut just inside the lines.  Then used a flap wheel or a fiber disc to take the cut down to the line.  That way you can take a little material off here and there and keep checking your work.  Just my opinion.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #109 on: 01/20/10 - 11:56AM »
yes handheld jigsaw. I DO value your opinions, but I have to work with the tools I have. Of course I drew out the taillight first, is there another way? I could not cut the radius straight and smooth on the 3/16 plate with the jigsaw it's just too thick and too small a radius. To make a guide plate would have been easier than cutting out the pattern without one obviously, but still I would have had to cut it as close as I could and then grind it down to be smooth and straight all the way around. The opening after I cut it was not big enough to fit my 4 1/2" angle grinder into and grind down smooth. I was able to do so to the lengths, but for the radius I could not get the angle grinder to fit in there to do so. I have no flap disc and I have no other tool or attachment to get in there other than a hand file and I'm not going to do that. So I did what I had to do with what I had available because I'm not in the position to go buy any new tools right now and when you're in the middle of working on something, it sucks to have to leave and go buy stuff and sometimes you can't when it 12:30 at night, so I come up with a solution that in my opinion is better than free-handing a cut, is just as durable, took less time and looks cleaner and saved me from having to buy something. Isn't that what it's all about? Doing what you can, with what you got? This is what worked for me, how boring it would be to read everyone's build thread if we all did everything the same.

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #110 on: 01/20/10 - 12:08PM »
Don't know what the radius was, but if you had a hole saw the same that would have made it easy.  I bought a couple kits from Harbour Freight with several different sizes and they don't cut worth sh!t so you would have had to buy or had some good quality saws anyway= $$$.  Then you could have cut the inside out with a cutoff wheel.  Although I see you can't cut straight with one, so nevermind.  >:D  A straight edge clamped on with your orbital saw would have worked then though.

Everyone gets there in a different way.  Diversity is great!  Otherwise we'd all be Obamas...  :o
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #111 on: 01/20/10 - 12:13PM »
all I have in the hole saw department is 1 3/4", 2 1/2", and 4" .. all too big.
« Last Edit: 01/20/10 - 12:14PM by LoneWolf »

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #112 on: 01/20/10 - 12:21PM »
I understand working with what you have, I'm in that same boat.
If you can swing the cash to get some fiber discs and/or flap wheels for the grinder do it.  I like them way more than a regular wheel, plus you can get a better finish on the welds you're grinding down.

I know you have a Dremel, if you really wanted to get in the radius that would have got it done, but you'd probably still be finishing it then. >:D

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #113 on: 01/20/10 - 12:24PM »
Dude I think it looks like you did a hell of a job - I have been wanting to buy a dremel for grinding in small spaces like that! I am starting to think they are a must own - you can get cut off wheels to go on them, grinding wheels, etc. pretty sweet little rigs!
EMAW

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #114 on: 01/20/10 - 12:31PM »
i think it looks damn good Jimmy! keep up the good work!!
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #115 on: 01/20/10 - 12:36PM »
I understand working with what you have, I'm in that same boat.
If you can swing the cash to get some fiber discs and/or flap wheels for the grinder do it.  I like them way more than a regular wheel, plus you can get a better finish on the welds you're grinding down.

I know you have a Dremel, if you really wanted to get in the radius that would have got it done, but you'd probably still be finishing it then. >:D

I'll do that for sure Austin when I can... My dremel works great for about 2 minutes, then takes hours to charge back up. I bought the Lithium powered one so it is useless on anything like this. If I were to buy another and someday I probably will...  I'll would get the 110 version.

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #116 on: 01/20/10 - 12:38PM »
I'm not saying you did a bad job, I think it looks good and I like your solution.
I just wanted to toss some ideas around, never know when you might learn something new.
Take this thread for example, bunch of time saving ideas that I never would of thought of myself.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=833341

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #117 on: 01/20/10 - 12:48PM »
I'll do that for sure Austin when I can... My dremel works great for about 2 minutes, then takes hours to charge back up. I bought the Lithium powered one so it is useless on anything like this. If I were to buy another and someday I probably will...  I'll would get the 110 version.

That would be a problem, mine just gets hot as hell.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #118 on: 01/20/10 - 12:53PM »
oh my dremel gets freakin hot too.

Thanks for the link, looks interesting.

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #119 on: 01/22/10 - 11:11AM »
So you may have said this already, if so flame away - what paint did you use to paint the jeep, and did you paint it???  8)
EMAW