Author Topic: Project Ruby Lee 2  (Read 38050 times)

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
Re: YJ Dovetail... continued.
« Reply #15 on: 08/15/09 - 07:06PM »
dejavue, you gotta watch those grinders man!!!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #16 on: 08/16/09 - 03:21AM »
We'll call you Roger Jr. now.
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #17 on: 08/16/09 - 03:52PM »
We'll call you Roger Jr. now.

I think we should call him Jimmy Jr. He copied off of me first by buying the Rubicon.  :P
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #18 on: 08/16/09 - 08:07PM »
yes he did but he had an orange yj frist.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #19 on: 08/19/09 - 05:55PM »
Got the old cage ready to come out; and am starting on getting the floor all cleaned up and ready to Herculine.

I've decided to scrap the old cage, which is built off of the stock B-pillar and rear side hoops, and design a full DOM cage; and with the help of a couple friends it'll be a reality real soon. It'll be stronger and stand up better, I believe, to the weight of the D60's and larger tires... Lord forbid, should I roll again.

Lake Steel in Camdenton; WELL worth the drive. $2.78/ft 1.75x.120 DOM; I got 4 - 22ft 6in sticks; my friends helping are in Lebanon, so that's just a short throw from there. Regardless, I'll buy from Lake Steel before paying for it in Springfield again.  :deadhorse:

• 90ft of 1.75x.120 DOM ordered.
  • CJ/YJ B-Pillar Cage feet and gussets ordered from BTF
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #20 on: 08/19/09 - 06:01PM »
Dang $ bags.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline calebsxj

• Level 1
« Reply #21 on: 08/19/09 - 06:15PM »
Looking forward to the design Jimmy! 

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #22 on: 08/19/09 - 06:30PM »
will the old cage fit in a cj5 with a few mods? - never mind I forgot about the dovetail
« Last Edit: 08/19/09 - 06:34PM by gdowling »
EMAW

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #23 on: 08/19/09 - 06:33PM »
Dang $ bags.

:icon_pimp: got money left over for entertainment.

will the old cage fit in a cj5 with a few mods?

maybe, but remember the rear of mine has been dovetailed... Come look at it.. will sell on the cheap.

Offline bronco72

• Level 1
« Reply #24 on: 08/19/09 - 11:32PM »
did you already go get the tubing?  at that price you could pick up a bunch and cover time and gas possibly. let me know. thanks

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #25 on: 08/20/09 - 01:01AM »
Heading there tomorrow; if anyone wants any, better get it ordered & paid for and tell them I'll be picking it up. Gonna cost me about $30 in diesel round trip and I ain't opposed to taking money to help with that.  Let me know how much (bunch) your talking about first. 631-3937

FYI: I'll be there picking mine up around 1:00p or so...
« Last Edit: 08/20/09 - 01:05AM by LoneWolf »

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #26 on: 08/23/09 - 09:53PM »
Well I had planned on Herculining the floor of the YJ this week, but ran into a couple snags; that will need to be addressed before I go forward with the Herc.

Rusty Floor at the drivers side B-pillar... gotta replace this first.

More rusty floor at the drivers side front.

HOWEVER... I was able to get started on the cage this weekend. We started with the B-Pillar, will be working our way to the front and then the back. Concepted and drew up the design in AutoCad and BendTech Pro. This is where we are at with it right now. The entire cage will be 1.75x.120 DOM.

Had hard time getting a couple of the b-pillar bolts out.. resorted to a proven method of extraction.

All stripped down.. Look familiar? Really need to get the waggy springs on the front too.. sitting a little low in the front; but doesn't rub anywhere.

b-pillar plate from Blue Torch Fab with my new b-pillar tacked in. Just using some soft bolts for now; will upgrade hardware upon final install.

Here are some other pics with the driver and passenger A-pillars bent and tacked in.

Lots more to do on it... stay tuned.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #27 on: 09/ 2/09 - 08:51PM »
thought I would come back and post some progress to the cage... I didn't take too many picture this last Saturday, so instead I'll post some JPG's from the Bend-Tech assembly file. It's coming along nicely.

Cutting the upper windshield bar to length so we could bend it.

Upper windshield bar tacked in

this is where I stopped taking pictures.  ::)

This is what the finished product will be minus a few gussets and tabs for the harnesses which I ordered today.

Back View -- the lighter colored tube is 1.5" DOM

Front view

view from rear passenger side

view from front passenger side

right side view

top view

It's been a slow process only being able to work on it one day a week; but progress is being made! Will take more pics on the next round.

You can see higher rez pics in my gallery: http://ozarksjeepthing.com/c/v/users/lonewolf/YJ/yjcage/
« Last Edit: 09/ 2/09 - 08:53PM by LoneWolf »

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #28 on: 09/ 9/09 - 01:33PM »
More progress on the cage...

Scotty made up some tabs for the seats...

I've been practicing my welding for some time now and decided to go ahead and weld this project up myself.

[/img]

Some in progress pics... actually further along, just forgot to take pics.

Scotty's homemade notcher -- patent pending! :)

Almost done.

Offline calebsxj

• Level 1
« Reply #29 on: 09/ 9/09 - 01:35PM »
Nice welding there Jimmy!  8)