Author Topic: Project Ruby Lee 2  (Read 38052 times)

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
Re: Project Ruby Lee 2
« Reply #165 on: 02/17/11 - 10:58AM »
It has the cutout for the ww motor, which mounts on the windsheild frame.  Take it and if you can make it work - good.  If not, at least it isn't in my attic!  LOL
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #166 on: 02/21/11 - 08:01PM »

I've been busy... I painted the windshield frame and mounted.. I had a new after market CJ windshield frame but it wouldn't fit right so I used the old one that was on the Jeep, it needed a little body work, but it saved me from having to buy a new windshield. I had to buy some new paint and I can't tell for sure yet; but I think it might be a shade off. I hope not dammit...  >:( but if it is, at this point, oh well. I'll live with it. I'm hoping it's just the lighting in the garage, because I still have to paint the hood, grill and fenders.  :17:

I'm digging this look without the dash-top and since Brad never called, I guess he never dug out the CJ dash-top.  :106: :P

Since I put the waggy springs on the back the front has needed a little boost, I tried to squeeze some 4" BDS springs under the front but that wasn't happening; it would have shot the front and up way to high and interfered with the steering. CrazyLarry gave me some 2" lift springs, I cleaned them up a bit and added a leaf from my stock pack and slapped them in... I think this will do; I gained 1.5", gotta pull it out of the garage and eyeball it to see how it's sitting.

Next I was on to the console. I'm building it in sections so I can take it apart; should I ever need to pull the cage or get to the transmission and transfer case.
First I had to get the twin sticks located better so that weren't in the way of shifter; reverse would hit them and they would hit up against the passenger seat... anyway; a little cut here and there and a dash of weld puddle and the skull twins are sitting pretty and ready for me to wrap a console around them. I haven't done it yet but I am going to heat and bend the shifter. The twins were way too far out of sync to heat and bend.

OFT WIT'HEES HED!  :P

EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #167 on: 02/22/11 - 02:17PM »
since Brad never called, I guess he never dug out the CJ dash-top.  :106: :P

I sent you a text on Saturday, wondering if you were going to come by and get it.  Since I got in that attic and got it Friday night AFTER being out until midnight. :23:

Maybe it was a bad number and I missed your PM with a new one in it!  LOL :P
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #168 on: 02/22/11 - 02:28PM »
Never got a text. I just pm'ed you my number and sent you a text message. :P Thanks for digging it out.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #169 on: 02/25/11 - 02:08PM »

Would be sooo easy to slap a V8 in there right now!  :105:

Offline mrfast

• Director of Photography
  • Level 4
« Reply #170 on: 02/25/11 - 05:33PM »
Oh go ahead! You know you want to do it 8) I can hear it now---yah I wish I would have gone ahead and put a v-8 in when I was building it :)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #171 on: 02/25/11 - 08:32PM »
If I only had a sugar momma! Or daddy. Hello mrfast!  :105:

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #172 on: 02/28/11 - 12:14PM »
I only had about 1/2" of clearance between the clutch fan and the stock YJ radiator which could have been ugly someday on the trail. I wasn't able to use a CJ radiator due to the steering box being in the way. I had just kind of slapped it in there and together before so I could start it and move it around and wheel it once or twice but now I've got it mounted sturdy with some fabbed up mounts and installed an electric fan. I just have it hooked up to a toggle on the dash and running through a 30amp relay so for now it'll run constantly. They do make a kit that's only $35 that will sense temps and activate the fan.. I'll be picking on of those up in the near future.

lower right radiator mount, also used to add structure back to a section of the grill I had to cut out in order to drop the hood a couple inches. It'll all be hidden by the winch.

redneck spacer

This beast of a fan really sucks the air through the radiator, probably a good thing since I closed up the engine compartment quite a bit. I don't think I'll have any overheating issues. I think I'll have twice as much air flow now. Might need to put in a high/low switch for this fan. it looks like its touching the pully on the front of the engine.. the radiator is actually offset to the passenger side in order to clear some stuff.

« Last Edit: 02/28/11 - 12:22PM by LoneWolf »

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #173 on: 02/28/11 - 11:58PM »
Whats brand is the fan or is it out of something?

Is it mounted flush to the radiator, I cant tell?

Do you only have a low speed?

What kit are u going to use for the thermostat? Hayden oreilly?

Im doing a taurus fan in my jeep now with high/low and all that jazz thats why im asking.

First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #174 on: 03/ 1/11 - 02:11AM »
It's a Chrysler fan, not sure what it came out of, phil gave it to me. It's one speed. It's mounted as close as I could to the radiator, I'd say about 1.25" maybe. When it kicks on the fan moves forward from it's shroud a bit so I couldn't put it right up on it without it hitting once it kicked on. It pulls SO much air I could have mounted it 6" away if I had room.  Right now I just have it wired to a 30amp relay and 20amp toggle mounted in the dash.  I am going to buy the kit from O'Reilly so it doesnt run all the time, just couldn't bring myself to spend $35 for it over the weekend... So I'll be going back for it. I'll find out what chrysler vehicle that's out of... I'm curious now.
« Last Edit: 03/ 1/11 - 02:13AM by LoneWolf »

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #175 on: 03/ 7/11 - 11:48AM »
I was told that fan came from a Ford Taurus, even though it says Chrysler on it.

Built a front bumper this past week and finished out the hoop and stinger. Probably will still weld on a D-Ring mount or something... not sure. Got a little weld-happy and warped it a smidge; but not enough to notice unless you break out a square.

Started off with some angle

Made some tabs; angle the edges before I welded them on to give the weld puddle a place to go.

Mounted to make sure it's gonna fit after I welded the tabs for the top on. Added an angle to the bottom of the bumper, I'm still going to mount a steering box skid plate off of this.

Primed and ready for flat black

The vertical pieces are for structural support should I decide to add a receiver or tow points to the front. this thing should be plenty stout for whatever.

All painted and bolted on.

I think I'll add a cross bar or something at the bottom of the hoop; it looks a little empty there. Hood is finally painted.. that's the last of the painting; except for the console.

« Last Edit: 03/ 7/11 - 12:31PM by LoneWolf »

Offline mrfast

• Level 4
« Reply #176 on: 03/ 7/11 - 04:57PM »
Ruby Lee 2 is really looking good--Nice work!

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #177 on: 03/ 7/11 - 05:04PM »
thank ya sir.  8) I'll get some pics of her this week and post up; she's pretty much done and ready for a photo shoot. Will have her out at SMORR this weekend; was going to go to Big Meat Run but don't have a way to get her there. Brandon offered to come get her for me and we're gonna GPS the whole ranch this weekend; or attempt to...  so I can make up a new much anticipated and WAY overdue trail map.

Offline mrfast

• Level 4
« Reply #178 on: 03/ 7/11 - 05:35PM »
I met Brandon Sunday and he told us that you were getting ready to GPS all the trails. You guys have been doing a lot of work around there! With all the new trail signs and a updated map, it will sure make navigating the park a lot easier!

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #179 on: 03/11/11 - 09:52PM »
well here she is.. I'd like to say its done.. but is it really ever done? I still have the console to do and some other odds and ends.

Still need to some tie downs for the hood,picking those up tomorrow on my way out to SMORR

All loaded up for it's first real adventure! GPS'ing SMORR. thanks for the haul Brandon!
« Last Edit: 03/11/11 - 10:06PM by LoneWolf »