Author Topic: Project Ruby Lee 2  (Read 38067 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: CJ Dovetail... continued.
« Reply #75 on: 10/20/09 - 03:48PM »
I have the Millermatic 180 and am using solid wire (.035) now that I have a welder that will accept gas.  ... When I get the plasma I plan to use a tank of compressed air, since it doesn't require a dryer/filter. Not sure my current compressor would be good enough...  It's just a 26 gallon Craftsman 1.6HP 165psi.. bla bla. and I don;t want to spend $1000 on a compressor just to run plasma.
« Last Edit: 10/20/09 - 03:51PM by LoneWolf »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #76 on: 10/20/09 - 04:08PM »
Cool - I was just curious, now back to your build!
EMAW

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #77 on: 10/20/09 - 04:22PM »
well currently I've finished out the parts of the fenders I can... and have the fenders ready for the inner skins, checked out some 16guage and it's to thin for what I want, and 1/8 is a little to thick, so I'm going to go with 14guage. Will pick that up tomorrow from Wheelers.

few pics

« Last Edit: 10/21/09 - 01:19AM by LoneWolf »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #78 on: 10/21/09 - 01:53AM »
looks real nice jimmy! maybe i should just have you build me some phantom fenders! :316_vacation:
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline calebsxj

• Level 1
« Reply #79 on: 10/27/09 - 11:07PM »
Any updates Jimmy?  8)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #80 on: 10/28/09 - 01:27PM »
looks real nice jimmy! maybe i should just have you build me some phantom fenders! :316_vacation:

Not a chance. Takes too much time; I'd have to charge you 1 million dollars.

Any updates Jimmy?  8)

I picked up the 14 gauge for the inner skins last week; the drivers side is all welded up; fits perfectly, I applied a little Bondo last night for a nice clean finished look, will sand and primer it tonight; and snap some pics. Here are the only pics I have right now:

I used cardboard, and poster board to get my templates; marked out and cut them with my jigsaw and a good bi-metal blade. I had a little trouble with the center area and being able to get the fender on without a lot of finagling; so I reworked that area, so it was easier to put the fender on and vise-versa. I just cut it out a bit more. You really have to pay attention to how your building something so that it will actually fit where you want it without having to take a hammer to it.

All finish welding on this one

In the process of smoothing/grinding out the corners; I welded inside and out... not really necessary but practice makes perfect. soon as I get this one primered up I'll take some more/better pics of it before and after I mount it up. The iPhone's camera leaves a lot to be desired.

« Last Edit: 10/28/09 - 01:36PM by LoneWolf »

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #81 on: 10/28/09 - 01:39PM »
Damn, that's a little nicer than what I had in mind. Nice work :big_thumbs:
EMAW

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #82 on: 10/28/09 - 01:45PM »
Looking good man.  Aren't you glad you're learning some fab skills on the YJ!
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #83 on: 10/28/09 - 03:00PM »
Thanks guys. They'll be slick when done... I've got a lot of time in them and have went the extra mile several times over. LOL And yes Aaron I'm glad to be sharpening skills, been enjoying every bit of this work. Except cutting the 3/16 outer panels with a sawzall (didn't have any metal blades for my jigsaw and was too lazy to go buy any)  ::) .. I could do without doing that EVER again. It's hard to cut a straight line with one of them... and ear plugs makes grinding a lot easier to endure when you have a lot to do.  :P

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #84 on: 11/ 3/09 - 12:24PM »
Didn't get to work on the fenders much since the last post; until last night. Drivers side is done: here's a few pics.
Still need to drill some holes to mount a couple things; and of course... final paint.

Offline calebsxj

• Level 1
« Reply #85 on: 11/ 3/09 - 12:30PM »
Those look awesome!  Great job Jimmy  8)

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #86 on: 11/ 3/09 - 01:45PM »
Sweet!
EMAW

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #87 on: 11/ 7/09 - 01:52PM »
well I had plans to come to the meeting Thursday night, but got sidetracked. Did this Thursday night, painted it up last night.

Welding on the floor is a real drag.. the drivers side fender I welded entirely on the floor, I have the passenger side all tacked up and ready to weld; but was not looking forward to doing it on the floor, so I took a little detour.

I cut my frame top and bottom frame pieces (1x1x1/8) and legs (1.25x1.25x1/8); I also mitered them at 45degrees

marked out my top and bottom shelf on some 3/16" I have; then cut out with my orbital saw (wish I had a plasma the whole time)

added wheels to the bottom, painted everything but the top.

Can't take credit for the design of this table I found a PDF online that I went by. Only thing I did different was I used 3/16 instead of 1/8 for my shelves... Its what I had laying around. Also I place the mig gun holder below the tabletop's horizon so it wasn't in the way when I'm moving parts around on the table top.

I've attached the PDF to this post if anyone wants it. Nice table, not too big, not too small. I'll probably make up a basket of some sort to add to the bottom shelve for smaller accessories.

« Last Edit: 11/ 7/09 - 01:54PM by LoneWolf »

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #88 on: 11/ 7/09 - 01:58PM »
Nice.  Something like this is on my list, part of the garage re-organization.

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #89 on: 11/24/09 - 06:35PM »
Have you wheeled this thing yet? :255_driving:

Any updates or wheelin pics??
EMAW