Author Topic: yj jungle gym and tube work  (Read 3432 times)

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
yj jungle gym and tube work
« on: 08/25/09 - 10:11PM »
well me and a friend decided to get a tube bender and split the cost, So here is our first project that we did which was the radiator hoop. I just built on to the poison spyder stinger. 
I built it all out of 1.75 hrew tubing with a jd2 model 3 bender.

Then we added the braces...

The goal was to get used to bending tube with the jd2 and practice for the cage build. I mainly just studied some cages that i saw on pirate and different sites and picked out different traits that i liked.Here is the main hoop that we made...

Next step is the A pillar and dash pieces...

Then we started on the back half and above the seats...

next step is to tie the seats, console and harnesses into the cage, add more braces, hip bar, gussets and other little stuff.

« Last Edit: 08/25/09 - 10:44PM by Jeeper guy »
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: yj jungle gym and tube work
« Reply #1 on: 08/25/09 - 10:16PM »
Looks good Alex. I need to build myself one as well. Good job. 
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline bronco72

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 08/26/09 - 01:28AM »
NICE WORK MAN!!!!!!  LIKE THE DESIGN.  I AM GETTING READY TO HACK MINE TOTALLY OUT THIS WINTER AND REBUILD A  :)"FAMILY" :) CAGE OUT OF DOM  MAYBE IF THE OLD BRONCO WILL ACCOMIDATE A CAR SEAT I CAN MAKE IT TO THE RANCH MORE THAN ONCE NEXT YEAR.  REALLY THOUGH LOOKS AWESOME CANNOT WAIT TO SEE IT IN PERSON.  IF YOU WANT I HAVE SOME EXTRA GUSSETS LIKE I USED IN MINE.  GIVE ME A CALL. 

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: 08/26/09 - 11:25AM »
NICE, I am looking forward to building one!
EMAW

Offline calebsxj

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 08/26/09 - 12:06PM »
Nice Alex!  Both upgrades give your Jeep a whole new look  8)

Offline FlameRed08

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: 08/26/09 - 12:56PM »
nice work.
2008 JK Unlimited X, Flame Red, 4" Superlift, Shrockworks Rails, Elements doors, etc.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #6 on: 08/26/09 - 12:59PM »
Not to bad man.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline bronco72

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 08/27/09 - 02:01AM »
You planning on mounting the seats a little lower when you mount them to the cage?

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #8 on: 08/27/09 - 03:26AM »
oh yeah seats sit a lot lower now :P... got it all welded up some angles redone, seats mounted, primed, and other little stuff done today. Thanks for the comments. I guess it back to wheeler to get a little more tube, i used about 95 feet(screwed up 5 feet with the bender) so far. I might add a little more in some places to reinforce. Im playing around with a vertical windshield bar, but im not sure if i wanna lose the visibility while its still a dd. Also add some sort of hip bars to the list. Anybody got any suggestions?

Alex

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #9 on: 08/29/09 - 04:48AM »
The cage got pulled out again and fully painted and cleaned up. Im still gunna add some more tubes and gussets, just need to get some supplies. Still needs to be tied into the frame, as of now its just bolted to the floor and sandwiched between some plates. In  near future im gunna build a rear crossmember/bumper out of tube and some shock hoops. Going wheeling tomorrow and see how she does. Btw the cage is not staying whiteish gray, it is all black.

Alex
« Last Edit: 08/29/09 - 06:04PM by Jeeper guy »

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #10 on: 08/29/09 - 12:18PM »
Looks great Alex. Keep up the good work.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #11 on: 09/20/09 - 03:56AM »
Well after a little break we have been back at it. We got the harness bar all bent up and in place, some other braces are all welded in and the 5 pts are all mounted up now. Still need some gussets and really wanna bend up some hip bars but have to make them work with the doors is a P.I.T.A. Also frame tie-ins need to be made and ive got a piece that goes in between the seats that will have cup holders and speakers mounted in. I will post some pics soon.

Alex

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #12 on: 09/29/09 - 07:08PM »
Update for this week:

Here is some recent pics of how it has finished up. Still needs gusset and I guess im gunna bend up some hip bars and hope my doors still fit, :23:.

Some time in the future i plan to stretch the front end 2-3 inches, Either using a flat pitman arm and stock box or an astro box?

Offline calebsxj

• Level 1
« Reply #13 on: 09/29/09 - 07:12PM »
Sweet Sauce!  :P

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #14 on: 09/29/09 - 09:34PM »
Here is a pic not long after i got it and lifted it. About 2 years ago?